Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to which rut period is your favorite to hunt. Personally, I've had better luck during the pre rut because I think the bucks are really moving around a lot checking out scrape areas, and finding out how many does are around their territory.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Yes the pre-rut (cruising, chasing phase) worked the best for me over the years, when the bucks are looking for the first hot does, also respond better to calls at this period (rattling, grunting)
The peak of the rut it's actually slow for hunting, bucks are less visible, since they are moving a lot less being paired up, tending does, and most are in heat at this stage, no need to travel much looking for them.
During post rut I personally never had great luck, but some big bucks are being killed then as well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Pre rut gets my vote too although I'm not all about antler hunting, don't get me wrong it's a bonus to get a big buck and I'll wait it out to a certain extent but I mostly wait it out to extend my time hunting. I could tag out easily but then I'd be done hunting so for the sake of extending the season I'll be selective. But in the end it doesn't make much difference to me if I use my general tag on a big buck, small buck, or doe.... I don't eat antlers. My favorite time though is the first week or two of hunting, the deer aren't disturbed yet and I LOVE velvet bucks.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those antlers don't get tender, no matter how long you cook them. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
My answer would be all of the above. Anytime i'm out in the woods with bow, muzzleloader or rifle chasing deer is a good time of the season. But if i had to choose, i would pick the pre-rut into the peak rut time. Those times of the season where the bucks are cruising around looking for does and running the rub/scrape lines. Also when they can be seduced into range with some calls or a decoy. I've called deer into range before, but last season was the first time i was able to decoy a buck into range.

·
Registered
146 Posts
mikeh416Rigby said:
Did you use a call with the decoy?
Yup, i had 3 different bucks go past my stand in the first hour of legal shooting light, on I believe it was Nov. 5th. I would call at them, but they had no intrest. I got down, walked back to my cabin, maybe 200 yards away, and got my 3D archery target (i had left my 3D decoy at home). Got back to my stand, set it up 15 yards infront of me facing away on a slight angle. Not 10 minutes later another buck was going past at about 60 yards, gave 2 calls with a doe bleat "can call" and lost sight of him, i was in the process of giving one more call when i saw him trotting my way down a trail. The way the decoy was placed it forced him to circle around "her". It all worked perfectly, except when i went to draw my bow when he stepped behind a tree, something in my shoulder popped, so i had to let down and when i tried to draw a second time, he saw me and got outta there.

·
Banned
216 Posts
To simplify the whole rut thing, just hunt the whole month of November everyday, and you'll do good.
Hunters who sit all day during this time, have great odds at getting a bruiser.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brasso said:
To simplify the whole rut thing, just hunt the whole month of November everyday, and you'll do good.
Hunters who sit all day during this time, have great odds at getting a bruiser.
[offtopic:1ord0q7x]That looks like a bruser of a moose in your avatar. I'm sure there's a good story behind it.[/offtopic:1ord0q7x]

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Pre-rut into rut is best, especially for responding to rattling and overall movement. After the peak I feel they go more nocturnal. I have only once been successful late in rifle season. Last year I spent almost a solid month out of a six week period in the bush during muzzle and rifle and the best was the last week of muzzle. Had an absolute blast, no pun intended. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts