Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:welcome: Please post your hunting stories here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey there, my handle is RIVIR, i live beside the River, ive had my handle ever since the CB radio days, now its cell phones, any ways everybody had CB radios, 4 of us went Moose hunting , young guys as we were then my brother and i and 2 buddys headed North where the Moose were suppose to be, green at hunting moose, keeping track of each other 2 trucks CB's, stopped headed down designated trail F, the 4 of us werent really ready just walking in first snowfall no ice on water, low and behold a Moose run right across in front of us going like a frieght train through the Birtch, his antlers were just like they were wobbling tipping, this is young guys hunting cant believe, there was like a hail of bullets following at him, and he went over the little ridge and into the lake, standing up to his neck in water out there looking at us, what now we cant shoot him in the water never get him out, every body leaning on atree with crosshairs on him , i said gotta think this out , moose started moving a little toward us, holy crap, Moose snorted and my brother fired right through the side of his head, i said what the, and he said when he snorted i felt snot hit me, 10am, we had the moose in the truck at 3pm hard work built a little raft smallest guy went for the ride hoping moose wouldnt sink, now to shorten the story up we heading home talking on those CB's all the way 270 miles of happy hunters, everybody in our area seems to all be on same channel, they new we had a Moose listening in on the last 50 miles of home, there is only 3 of us now and we talk about our first moose hunt every once a while , we have been on moose hunts since but your first moose is a treasure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
November is usually cold, with snow. That year, tho..it was warm..15 degrees warm. You just know its going to be a tough hunt. That day, my partners and I were hunting an area with heavy bush, 1/2 mile long by almost 300 yds wide. And on the side of the hill were loads of Hawthorns. Not fun. But, my partner and I pushed through each stand of thorns, hoping to get something up and running. If you've ever been near hawthorns, you know how sharp they are. You get poked, cut, scratched, and you bleed. Nothing stops them. But the big deer love the cover. My partner was just to the south of me, about 20 yards. I came out of the thorn bush, scraped up, and stood there to take a break. My partner kept travelling, as he was about 20 yards away from me. Thats when he almost stepped on a monster buck. As the buck leaped up, all my partner could do was yell, he was so startled. And the buck took off behind us at full speed. I had one chance, and it was for a very breif second. Somehow, I wheeled around, got him in the crosshairs, and pulled the trigger. No, I didn't squeeze. He took one jump, and he was gone. I ran after him, to see if there was any blood. Yup..and with about 5 minutes of searching, there he was. I stopped in disbelief. I knew he was big, but I couldn't believe the antlers!!!! This big ol bruiser was a 187, 10 x 7 non typical!!! Every year we still talk about him at hunting time. I still can't believe how heavy he was. That was my millenium buck. Oddly enough, guys I hunted with always laughed at my trusty old 8 x 57 mauser, saying how slow it was, or how it couldn't keep up with their 7mm mags, or .270's. But it sure did the job that day. And, to boot..it was the biggest non typical in the zone that year

·
Registered
331 Posts
That was a good story ive bin there done that with the Hawthorns and you bleed, when you have the cross hairs on that buck pull the trigger :shotgun: even if two thorns giving the evil poke .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Iv always hunted the same way, always on the ground in a natural blind and always in southeast part of the province. So last year my brother hands me a small bottle of doe estrus scent and says try something new. So opening morning I walk half mile into the woods I set up two scent bombs at specific yardages , anyway after all the walking I sit down in my blind and realize , damn I'm sweating . So I open the scent bottle and put it ten feet away to cover my smell . Ten minutes later a 4x3 come through the trees looking for something to poke . I was trying to let him pass but he was walking my path into my blind . At about 5 yards I finally squeezed the trigger . Every time I see a tinks scent bottle I laugh at my mistake and mark my word I won't put it so close to my blind ever again lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts