Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to take my 18 year old on a pheasant hunt this fall for his grad gift. Has anyone on here been down there to do that and could you recommend a location/lodge etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
South Dakota had a very poor season last year, numbers were way down due to weather. North Dakota faired alot better there are a pile of places to choose from depending on what price range you are looking at. Check out Nodak outdoors and go to the pheasant section and you will find lots to choose from. Cannonball has been good to us .

·
Registered
869 Posts
......Wish I could have gone on a pheasent hunt for a grad gift.....come to think of it a grad gift in general would have been nice :shock:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mott ND. After April 3rd might have some names and numbers for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've hunted pheasants since '78 and in the Dakotas since a couple years after, we used to go to North Dakota on Sundays since you could hunt Sunday there but not in Sask, where I lived at the time.

If you are looking for a lodge in SD to parachute in to who will provide you with an all inclusive, I.e.: dogs, birds, lodging, bird cleaning, meals etc, for some number of thousands of dollars I can give a recommendation, I know a guy who breed dogs for a place, send me a PM.

I've always gone it alone or self guided, if you will. If you are interested in that route PM me also, I can give you some tips, I've not ever found it necessary to pay to hunt on a preserve or pay a trespass fee, although I would pay a trespass fee if I had to, but with the amount of hunting and available for free I've never found i tnecessary.

last year in the area I hunt in ND were down somewhat, I thought, and in SD were up, this conflicts with their mailman reports, but it is what it is.

No permission required to hunt on land in ND, land is either posted, or it's not, Nott would be good, but it's pay pay pay, I go just south of the Canada border, and it's getting posted more every year, but still lots of land available.

SD is permission only on private land, but also has more public land, (GPA, WPA, CRP and CREP) in any given county than you could ever hunt in many, many years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
chickenhunterbob said:
I've hunted pheasants since '78 and in the Dakotas since a couple years after, we used to go to North Dakota on Sundays since you could hunt Sunday there but not in Sask, where I lived at the time.

If you are looking for a lodge in SD to parachute in to who will provide you with an all inclusive, I.e.: dogs, birds, lodging, bird cleaning, meals etc, for some number of thousands of dollars I can give a recommendation, I know a guy who breed dogs for a place, send me a PM.

I've always gone it alone or self guided, if you will. If you are interested in that route PM me also, I can give you some tips, I've not ever found it necessary to pay to hunt on a preserve or pay a trespass fee, although I would pay a trespass fee if I had to, but with the amount of hunting and available for free I've never found i tnecessary.

last year in the area I hunt in ND were down somewhat, I thought, and in SD were up, this conflicts with their mailman reports, but it is what it is.

No permission required to hunt on land in ND, land is either posted, or it's not, Nott would be good, but it's pay pay pay, I go just south of the Canada border, and it's getting posted more every year, but still lots of land available.

SD is permission only on private land, but also has more public land, (GPA, WPA, CRP and CREP) in any given county than you could ever hunt in many, many years.
if you pick up the PLOTS guide every year, you can see the CRP lands getting smaller and smaller.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think we should get a season for them, we have a decent populations, while deer hunting last year I ran into probably 100 of them, and I always seem to see some each year out by the cabin

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been down to SD for the past 2 years. I can tell you that if you can get on the birds you will have more fun than you can imagine!
we were around Mitchell SD last year and there were plenty of birds.
We never hunted more than 2 hrs before we were limited out for the day. I wish i could remember some the outfitters names thatwe ran into last year. I'll try to see if i can dig around and find some of the cards i got from them.

Allan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts