Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opening day of bow season this year I get into my stand at least an hour before first light. Finally first light arrives and I am Pumped its all quiet and a slight south wind! about half hour after first light I notice one buck coming towards me from down wind, he was a small 4x4 just over 100". I was thinking that if there is one buck at this time of year there should be another one to follow and at that same time I saw a much larger buck coming from the same area this small guy came from. He was absolutely beautiful! full velvet and just perfect! I was considering taking him but all these thoughts were going through my head at the time. I was thinking there were bigger bucks in my area that I know were there and I was planning a hunting trip with some friends this year and I really never hunt with anyone so I was excited about that. Anyway he came in to fifteen yards turned away from me a ton of time to draw my bow and then he went broadside and it would of been that picture perfect shot that every bow hunter thinks about. So with all these thought running around in my head at the same time I then decided to pass on him, he started to walk away slowly and vanished. later on I left my stand feeling good about my decision because of my plans and this guy seriously has the genetics to become the next king of my area. I bunch of weeks later and not really seeing any shooters and then hearing that my hunting trip was not going to happen I was thinking back and having regrets about my decision to pass on this beautiful buck. Has anyone else had some regrets on their decision to pass up a certain buck? and thinking back they should of taken him.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Actually not so much a buck, couple years ago I left an antler less tag available thinking I could get a doe easily whenever I wanted. Well I froze right till the end of season and I always seemed to pick the wrong stand, the wind was wrong, they came out after dark, etc. I never did notch that tag and regret not shooting one when they were walking by earlier in the season. Now this year i am sitting at home during the best hunting time of the year because I did burn all my tags, it actually kinda sucks either way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yes I have had tag soup a few times but an old fella once told me

"you will never get a big buck if you keep tagging small ones"

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I too have done the same as clawj on many occasions, passing up gimmie shots only to eat tag soup... As far as bucks go, I have let alot of decent shooter bucks walk in hopes of bigger and have a wallet full of unused tags to prove it!!! Like that ols fella told tikka, you can't killa big one if you shoot the small ones!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts