Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I are going to be getting our PAL taken care of in the next month or so. Anyone else interested? We're probably going to have an instructor come to one of our houses to do the course.

I don't have a solid date yet, but we're looking at doing it sometime in May.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I might be. I have the course done but not sure where my papers went.. Id have to figure out what I need to do first I guess

·
Registered
355 Posts
You don't need a course for a PAL. Just apply for it. Are you thinking a hunters safety course?
Chad if you've done a hunters safety course they will have your info on file I think its 10 bucks for a new card.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't need to write a test to get my PAL? Is this new?

I thought you had to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course to be able to buy and possess a firearm?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure all I did was apply for it. I believe a restricted pal you need to do more. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course or challenge the test. Just made a call to MWF on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So those of you who are looking at getting your PAL, please let me know and I'll keep you posted when we set it up.

We might just do a study session with an instructor and challenge the test too. It's a 50 question multiple choice with no trick questions.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ya. I did the restricted course too. But when I did it I was under 18 so I still had my minors fac. Which let me do anything so I didnt need the pal. 10 years later.. Lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you sure? I had to do a hands on test for my pal test. Dismantle a gun. How to safely jump a barbwire fence with a gun. Etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Backroad Benny said:
I don't need to write a test to get my PAL? Is this new?

I thought you had to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course to be able to buy and possess a firearm?
if you took your hunters safety course pre-'95 you can apply for PAL without taking courses.....talking to an instructor and he said some
get approved and some get rejected, he's not sure why, it's a bit of a grey area

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... te-eng.htm it's in the exception area...

here's the application form http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form ... 21-eng.pdf

·
Registered
355 Posts
rayf said:
if you took your hunters safety course pre-'95 you can apply for PAL without taking courses.....talking to an instructor and he said some
get approved and some get rejected, he's not sure why, it's a bit of a grey area

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... te-eng.htm it's in the exception area...

here's the application form http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form ... 21-eng.pdf
Ah so that's where things changed. I was really trying to think if I took a course. Didn't think I did! Guess my memory is due to my age!

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I understand it, Hunter Safety and Firearm Safety courses are different, and for separate purposes. The Hunter Safety is the one where you can be 'grandfathered' in - otherwise, you have to take the course and do the test. Not sure if you can challenge that test.

The Firearm Safety you can challenge. Get a copy of the manual.....read it, and challenge the test with an instructor. Multiple choice AND a hands on portion. No need to lay out $$ to take the course IMHO.

Andre......help?

·
Registered
123 Posts
you guys have an instructor lined up??? My buddy is an instructor, I could hook you guys up

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My buddy Brad is lining it up for us, but I'm not sure he's picked out an instructor yet. If you don't mind fowarding his details, that would be great, Tinman.

·
Registered
869 Posts
All I can say is how easy the course was when I did it, I was 14 or 15 at the time? (20 now). I remember taking the course and pretty much falling asleep and aceing the course. questions that screwed my class: Is it ok to mix smokeless and black powder? (Or something in that realm) and the other question I think was firearm action Identification? If i remember right there would be a picture of say, a lever action and it would give you multiple choice like is this a) bolt-action b) lever action or c)pump action. Grab the manuals, skim through em and I'm sure you will do fine :D

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
When the post FAC firearm licenses first appeared ppl were allowed to obtain the POL (Possession Only License) simply by applying for it. That was to satisfy those firearm owners who were content with the firearms that they had and would not acquire more firearms. There was a limited time for that option.

Anyone wanting to obtain firearms could challenge the Canadian Firearm Safety Course to obtain the PAL (Possession Acquisition License). The other option was to take the CFSC and apply for the PAL. I'm not sure if one can still challenge the CFSC exam or not. Even a pass does not guarantee that an application for a PAL will be approved. There are hoops that can make it difficult for ppl to get approved for a PAL. Some ppl are outright denied based on such things as a criminal record.

Anyway, the first step towards pursuing a PAL is to take the CFSC. Some may find it redundant but I believe it is worth the time and money. I was trained in firearm safety and handling by RCMP and our in house instructors but I still took the CFSC on my own time and dime. There is always something to learn. Nothing wrong with knowing the latest tricks of the trade, laws and government rules on these types of things.

Benny, if your other instructor contacts don't pan out let me know. I know of a few CFSC instructors.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts