Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering where a good place would be to go and look for paint so I can paint my boat for duck hunting. I have seen stuff at Cabelas but I think I need to use a primer first. Does anyone know where I would find paint for aluminum boats? Also any tips for this process would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
If your boat is bare alum, yeah you will need a etchin primer. Otherwise paint will just flake off over time. Any body shop supply store will be able to assist you. Theres a few all over the city. Rondex, chase, paint fx, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't remember where I got it but there is/was such a thing called "marine paint". I used it on an alum. boat that we fixed up. If I remember correctly there was no priming necessary, this stuff was thick enough to paint right over old paint or bare alum.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I repainted the red area on a boat using an acrylic paint and a gravity fed sprayer on a 2 HP compressor. Worked great but you couldn't stop spraying with that sprayer or it would dry in the tip real quick. The prep was to clean it and lightly scuff with a green scrubber. It never peeled.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys for all your Help. Looking forward to preparing my boat for the Duck hunting season. getting trigger happy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I repainted my 16 foot tinner this past spring. I took it to bare metal (wire wheel then sanded it to even everything out), wipped it down with a 50/50 mix of vinagre an water, then used self etching primer (from walmart), then painted it with Ultra Flat OD Green Krylon Camouflage paint. Sounds simpe enough but believe me it was a long drawn out process.

Biggest thing I can tell you is to make sure there is absolutely no oil/ grease/ hand or finger prints/ other crap on the surface before it is primmed and painted. You will spend more time preping the boat for paint than actually painting it. Follow the directions on the cans of primer and paint.

The paint has held up extremely well.

Best 5$ you can spend is on an aerosol trigger, it clips ontop of the spray can and lets you apply the paint evenly. Feel free to message me if yo have any questions along the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just painted an older 14'-0 lund.
I went to cargo East on marion and bought this epoxy type primer.
Then we used Krylon paint cans.
It was a lot of work as we sanded the boat right down
So far holding out good, but we'll see in spring time after the long portage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts