Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a restless night last night. Only managed about an hours sleep, so exited for the Waterfowl opener. I had my blind set up on a water filled hole in a stubble field that i have been watching for the past few days. Every time i have been by there has been hundreds of ducks in there so i was super exited for the season opener and i was not disappointed.
The day started at 4am when i just couldn't lay in bed any longer. I got up ate breakfast checked and loaded my gear and it was still only 5 so i checked my gear again :lmao: . Eventually it was 5:30 time to hit the road. The field i hunt is only a 15 min drive so i was on the stubble, deeks set by 6:15 just as the first light started to show in the East. I decided to park my truck in the farm yard which is 500 yards away. On the walk back i could already hear wings all around me in the sky. As i got back to my blind i looked out over the deeks in the water and there was already 5 Mallards swimming around in the spread :D . Look at my watch 6:20 am 5 mins until shooting light boy was that a long 5 mins as pack after pack of ducks poured in to my hole. All i could do was sit and watch as hundreds of ducks flew all around me.
6:25am!!!!!!! a pack of around 20 wheeled in over the deeks 20 yards straight in front, 2 shots 2 birds hit the deck. Reload next pack is on me in no time another 2 down. Then the next group 30 seconds later all i can see is ducks in the air in every direction. In 10 mins i had my limit of ducks. Then i was just a spectator for the next hour, it was amazing seeing so many ducks decoy in wave after wave, i could have killed 100 in no time. I had seen a few geese on the field so i waited for them to show and at around 8am 2 geese came across the front of the blind around 35 yards out first shot lead gooses head fly's back and he tumbles pull on to the next fire he staggers fire again another stagger and as i lower the gun the first goose never hit the ground ,he recovered and is flying strong they both pitch in and land further up the field 200 yards away. Those were the only geese to come over all morning but the ducks made my season. I went over to were i had seen the geese land and they were both dead a few feet apart i hate steel! i was using 3"magnums with #2 shot and half choke both geese should have folded and i think 3 or 4 ducks took 2 barrels of 3" #3 to bring down. Apart from my lack of knock down power from the Winchesters i had the best morning duck hunt of my life.
[attachment=2:eek:ubjpngt]photo (4).JPG[/attachment:eek:ubjpngt]
THE VIEW FROM MY BLIND MOST OF THE MORNING
[attachment=1:eek:ubjpngt]photo (5).JPG[/attachment:eek:ubjpngt]
THE DAYS BAG
[attachment=0:eek:ubjpngt]photo (6).JPG[/attachment:eek:ubjpngt]
JUST A SINGLE DUCK HEADING FOR THE SPREAD JUST AFTER I TOOK MY LIMIT.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
2 of us came home with 11 ducks and 5 Canada geese. We decided to stay away from the crowds and winds at Shoal Lake. We should have had our limits before 10 am but we couldn't shoot. The dog got 15 retrieves and worked really well. Scouting tomorrow and then back at it next weekend.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice job guys!

We had a great opener here. Four of us got 20 ducks (mixed bag of mostly mallards, wood ducks, and ringnecks) and three big cans. Lots of birds around, all locals. Great start!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Our Group of 4 Shot 63 Canadas, 18 Mallards and 3 Snows between Saturday and Sunday Morning. Really had to work for them Sunday morning since the forecast called for South Wind and it ended up being a east wind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts