Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any outfitters that do just a day waterfowl hunt? Can only seem to find 3-5 day ones for Americans. I've been looking for mentorship for months and know that I won't get anywhere doing that. I've taken my son out on a few unsuccessful hunts and am afraid he is going to lose interest before we even really get in to it. had a few people tell us they would take us out and teach us but ghosted us.
So now all I can think of is an outfitter. Anybody know of any that do single day, please let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No one ghosted you. I offered to meet you and discuss going out and you deleted the thread and ghosted me. I suppose you expect someone to take you out and do all the work.
Good luck finding anyone willing to do that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Go on kijiji and search mentored deer hunt. There's a guy who will help you. I would, but like I said in the other thread, I'm helping multiple people already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one ghosted you. I offered to meet you and discuss going out and you deleted the thread and ghosted me. I suppose you expect someone to take you out and do all the work.
Good luck finding anyone willing to do that.
I pm you my phone number like you asked and haven't heard from you, figured you were busy. And I wasn't talking about you or anyone in this forum ghosting me. By ghosting me i mean I had a couple people make actual plans to take me out and show me how to set up my own gear and what not and then nothing from them.
I went out and got tons of gear but can't find a mentor, thats why I delete that thread. Not looking for anyone to do the work for me. Wouldn't have spent all the mney on the gear if I did.
Go on kijiji and search mentored deer hunt. There's a guy who will help you. I would, but like I said in the other thread, I'm helping multiple people already.
Thanks but I am good for deer, brother in law taking me out and he is a butcher so he's gonna teach me and my boy how to field dress and all that fun stuff. Hopefully my rifle is ready. Can't seem to find any mentorship for waterfowl. Mwf nothing cuz covid, and been waiting to hear back from delta. More than likely same thing. Figured I'd try for a one day goose thing and hope for a spring waterfowl program.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I hired an outfitter for one day to get started snow goose hunting. I think it's a great idea. Since Covid shut out the Americans last year they are trying to maximize their income this year and booking bigger packages but you might be in luck at the end of their season if the weather holds and they've finished all the booked hunts. Just google and start calling.

Some general pointers for getting more help here.
If you've done the leg work: scouted fields, gotten permissions, checked the weather etc when you talk to people, they'll know you're serious and reliable. There are a lot of requests here just like yours and many of us have answered the call. It takes time to align a hunt and taking out someone you don't know is safe with a gun is a very generous offer.

Don't get discouraged. Driving around looking for geese can be bonding time with your son. Bring good snacks and two pairs of binos so you can both get excited. Birds go out to fields just at first light then go back to roost for "lunch" around 10:30-12 and digest. The evening flight varies but generally between 3-5 these days. Follow where they go.

Sometimes we get ghosted too and it was a big waste of time looking for birds and arranging a field. We don't all have a farmer buddy with a field of geese we can just drop in on.

List what gear you have. Is it only personal gear (clothing, gun, etc) or do you actually have decoys and a blind? There are lots of newer hunters with only a bit of gear and pooling resources helps a lot.

Many of us are "adult-onset hunters" and have been on this road too. "Where do I start?" It's not instantaneous becoming a hunter. It's gradual but the path is fun.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts