Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon fellow waterfowlers. I am looking forward to my first trip to Manitoba, (went to SK last year) and my first time freelancing. I took my dad last year so we opted to get a guide to make things a little easier.

I will be staying in Baldur, MB from the 8th - 18th and cannot wait! I have plat maps and I am working on obtaining phone books for several of the surrounding municipalities. I will be focusing on puddle ducks, fields or transition sloughs (I will not be hunting roosts or anywhere near them :p ) as well as Canadian geese.

If anyone would like to join up for a hunt or two, or knows of someone in that area that would I always enjoy meeting new people who are passionate about chasing waterfowl, or taking out newbies is always great as well.

PM me for interest or if you have any advice on hunting that area. I will be chasing upland game during my down time as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good luck on your hunt, you should have a great time! You are going to have a heck of a time trying to figure out the Canadian Geese from all the others. but I wish you the best of luck with that.
I hear that the Canadian Canada geese taste better then the American Canada geese... but maybe that's just a filthy rumour..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wonder how many of them have dual citizenship, I hear it's tough to get these days
Well, it really depends on their linage, if their parents are Canadian but the young are born in the US they might get duel citizenship, or if they were born in the US but reside in Canada they might get duel citizenship. With the election coming up, this is something we can asked the different parties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see that my feeble attempt at a Canadian joke was misplaced, haha. i thought about saying i was coming to hunt "Canadians' but figured that might "ruffle some feathers".

so not to get all scientific and all, but....

Q: Why are they Canada geese, not Canadian geese? After all, we have Canadian bacon and Canadian whisky.

A: Some English speakers do indeed refer to this large waterbird as a “Canadian goose,” but a majority prefer “Canada goose” as the common name for Branta canadensis, according to online searches.

The four standard dictionaries we’ve consulted, reflecting popular usage, list “Canada goose” as the common name for the North American bird, though two of them include “Canadian goose” as a variant usage.

next time i will simply say, im coming for "BIG HONKERS" but then again, i don't know what kind of seedy establishments some of you might drag me to!

Cheers, and im still looking fwd to coming despite some good ribbing

V/r,

Kings of Wing, aka Ryan

·
Registered
665 Posts
it is strange...
Canada Goose
American Eagle

to-mah-to... to-may-to

No matter what you call them, they are ALL good eats!

Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
383 Posts
We had a very good laugh with some american hunters aprox. 30 years ago. They came and got permission to hunt and at the end of the day they said to my mom. "We are going to take our hoooonkers to the hoooooterittes to have them plewcked". My mom had no idea what they had said. Later in the week they stopped one evening to have a drink with us after their hunt and we pour then a shot of "Canadian Club" rye. They then asked how you would order that drink in a canadian beverage room. And told us the had been to a beverage room in East Selkirk and asked for CC and 7 and the waitress had no idea what they were talking about. They then asked for Canadian Club and 7up and she looked at them very strangely and bought them each a bottle of Canadian beer a bottle of club beer and a can of 7up. They then added that drinking in Canada is "a little different the beer is strong the shots are small and it is all expensive."

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sent U a PM. Hope to get some American Wigeon this Weekend!!

Reactions: kingsofwing

·
Registered
445 Posts
I see that my feeble attempt at a Canadian joke was misplaced, haha. i thought about saying i was coming to hunt "Canadians' but figured that might "ruffle some feathers".
It was all in good fun, no one was offended.:p

Couple years ago shared a field with some Americans, they mentioned the day before they had "shot a bunch of Canadians". I really had to bite my tongue!

To the Canadian people, saying that you are hunting or shooting Canadians, just sounds wrong and privately we laugh at you behind your back and shake our heads. On another forums this has been discussed at length and while some hunters are unaware, others take a more aggressive stance and said that they have always called Canada Geese, "Canadian" Geese, and always will and you can't change me blah, blah, blah. They just make themselves sound stupid.

Like I said, call them what you want, no one really cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
That trip to Manitoba must have been great. Are you guys going on vacations in other countries? Have you tried hunting in Europe on any of your trips? I'm planning a trip to Greece this summer and I would love to combine them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts