Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I'm planning a trip this fall to the OHM area. This will be my first trip to Canada to hunt ducks and geese and I'm pretty excited. We're coming in the week of Sept. 28th. Myself and 3 other guys are planning to "free-lance" and do the legwork by seeking out the landowners for permission. We'll be bringing a trailer full of decoys and layout blinds.
I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys and am wondering if you guys have any tips for us or if you have any success stories that you're willing to share. I also don't mind hearing about hunts that didn't go so well because I know thats all part of this great sport we call hunting. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. I can't wait for fall!
:animated-smileys-ba

·
Registered
445 Posts
Oak Hammock can be a pretty good place to hunt geese and on occasion ducks. We had a ton of rain up here this year and some farmers didn't get a crop in, so the picking for good fields might be slim. If you are around on the 27th at Oak Hammock Marsh Interpretive Centre we are having Provincial Hunting Day. (I work for DUC) Good place to talk to meet other hunters and take part in some activities. Might be a good place get the latest on where the birds are or make landowner connections.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we're going to miss the provincial hunting day by 1 day. That would have been good to go to.
Thats also not the best news about the crops but most importantly are the bird numbers I suppose. Does anyone have a report of birds numbers this year? Also, have they set daily limits for dark geese for foreign residents yet?

On more question, whats the best way to camouflage a layout blind in the grain fields? Is there enough stubble left in the fields to brush up a blind?

Thanks for the help.

Trevor

·
Registered
869 Posts
The limit for foreign hunters is 8, No clue on # of bird numbers, as far as concealing a blind it is a pain as alot of farmers don't seem to leave stubble in the fields. Also noticed alot of bean and canola fields in the area which isn't ideal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
importing firearms

Can anyone tell me the fee for importing a firearm across the border? Also, how many rounds of ammunition can we bring across the border before being taxed? I'm having a hard time finding that answer on the CBSA website.

Thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
Manitoba removed the daily limit on snow geese for 2014.....not sure if this affects out of country hunters limits.....Grants lake WMA has a good population of October white/dark geese and mallards.... not too far away from oak...... worth a day of scouting..... i'll be out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4 wheeler necessary?

Thanks. How far of a drive is Grants Lake from Selkirk?

Also, how necessary would a 4 wheeler be? If its wet this fall, will it be necessary to transport blinds and decoys by 4 wheeler or will a pick-up truck do?

Of course its always nice to have a 4-wheeler when hunting or doing whatever for that matter, but it would be nice if we didn't have to transport one for 14 hours and worry about getting it through the border as well.

Do any of you guys use them and can't live without them?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Grants Lake would be 45 minutes one way.

Hard to say if a quad will be needed or not. Generally speaking we make do without quads but there are times when they become very handy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi folks,
I'm planning a trip this fall to the OHM area. This will be my first trip to Canada to hunt ducks and geese and I'm pretty excited. We're coming in the week of Sept. 28th. Myself and 3 other guys are planning to "free-lance" and do the legwork by seeking out the landowners for permission. We'll be bringing a trailer full of decoys and layout blinds.
I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys and am wondering if you guys have any tips for us or if you have any success stories that you're willing to share. I also don't mind hearing about hunts that didn't go so well because I know thats all part of this great sport we call hunting. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. I can't wait for fall!
:animated-smileys-ba
Good luck, it may or may not be the paradise you dreamed of, here's a tale of a hunt that appears to have not gone just quite as well as hoped.

http://www.manitobahuntingforum.com/forum/12-waterfowl/2804-hunting-around-oak-hammock.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
as a lomngtime oak hammock hunter, all i can say is, DO NOT FREELANCE. Fields around oak hammock are spoken for sometimes years before. And if they're not, bring your wallet. I would be doing some reasearh now and trying to get in contact with a farmer. They might say yes, you never Know, but they also might not even have a crop planted with half the province under water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the repost, I did read that one a couple weeks ago. I also appreciate the honest thoughts as I did originally ask for them.

As a hunter I understand that things don't always go as planned. Actually I am sure everyone on this forum knows what I'm talking about. We've all had the perfect setup planned the night before. You're so excited you can't sleep. You have the field scouted out where the birds are feeding, you have everything in line, all you have to do is show up. Then you get there, you start hunting and nothing happens. I've been there dozens of times, and it can be frustrating but would you, know we're all right back the next weekend doing it all over again.

For me, it's not the killing of the birds, its the actual HUNT itself. My hunt is starting now, I'm planning, researching, making contacts, buying decoys, buying maps, finding a place to stay, I'm learning your area, I'm learning your tactics. I know it's not going to be a walk in the park. We plan to put our time in the field and we also plan on spending hours in the truck scouting the birds out. And at the end of the day and the end of the trip, it's not going to matter if we fired our guns or not. Me and my hunting buddies will have enjoyed living the life of a waterfowler for a week. We will be up in Manitoba Canada. A place we have never seen before. We will be away from our jobs and the real world. We will be spending time with our friends doing what we love to do. It will be a whole new experience for us, something knocked off our bucket list...

I'm not living in a fantasy land where everything is all hunky dory. I'm expecting to have some frustrating moments up there. Being realistic, how could we not? We're going to be free-lancing in a place we've never been. Unfortunately it's in our blood to hunt ducks and geese, so we're going to fill a void and I'm 100% sure we will do just that.

We're thankful that you guys allow us and others to experience a hunt up there. We're also thankful that you guys value conservation as much as we do. We share the same waterfowl as you and your conservation efforts in their breeding grounds is vital for populations in North America.

I'm looking forward to more conversation...good, bad or helpful tips, I'll take it all.

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would disagree with kevinhicks18, nothing at all wrong with freelancing as long as the rules and regulations are followed. Some fields are tied up by outfitters or the farmer's family or friends are the only ones that hunt it, but you should have no problem finding a field that has some geese in it, or geese moving over it. One of the worse things a visiting hunter can do is offer up big money to hunt a field. Some farmers then start charging the local guy the same money to hunt their field and eventually you just get pushed out.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I don't agree with kevinhicks18 either. Lots of Americans free lance the south Interlake. Scout the fields and find the landowner. We all do it that way. Sometimes the fields are tied up and sometimes they aren't.

·
Registered
236 Posts
actually this year there is lots of cereal growing on private fields couple miles west and northwest of Oak Hammock Marsh. And no, you will not be swimming around in a foot of water. It is actually very dry in the area.

Hardest part would be finding out who owns what field, asking permission around the area has never been difficult. Just ask any local farmer you see (go into the yard) and ask who owns it, they will know.

Depends what the outfitters are doing this year, they like to rent a farmer's whole acreage for the whole season.

There are tons of birds around the managed hunting area all around oak hammock in the fall so going home empty handed is doubtful.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replays.

I've been hearing a lot about the interlake area. Can you guys explain that to me? Is it the area that is south of Lake Winnipeg near the mouth of the Red River? Or is it just a general term used to described a broad area?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts