Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its called blueing, but I might be wrong. Im not a gun junky and dont know much about the topic. I have a remington 870 thats about 30 years old and the barrel has become shiny, I was told theres something I can do to get it back to its flat black color. any ideas? its camo taped right now and looks so awful lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes it is called blueing, most stores used to sell the blue or kits for such, today I am not sure and have not done it for maybe 15 years. I would think the two major stores would have the stuff. Try you tube for instructions.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
A less expensive, (but less professional looking) method is something I've done on several rifles and shotguns over the years...paint it. Get a can of flat black spray paint; the kind you can buy to paint a bar b que grill or car engine. It's heat resistant, and when it starts to wear off, a quick touch up is all it needs. Just make sure the exterior of the barrel is free of all oil or solvents before you spray it. Take the barrel off the shotgun, cover the sight with masking tape, then put a long piece of wire through the barrel and with a pair of pliers, turn the wire up on the ends so you can hang the barrel from a tree branch or clothes line. Cheap and effective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts