Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out this past Saturday morning (GHA 33 private property). Not a lot of action, so I decided to walk around midday to look for any sign in the little bit of fresh snow there was. Didn't see much for fresh tracks, but on the North end of the property there is a meadow about 100 yds. x 60 yds. with bush on three sides. On the West edge of the meadow I found about 5 fresh scraps along the bush line. My question is, as I have not hunted over rubs and scraps before, do the bucks frequent their scraps daily? or would it be a hit and miss kind of thing? I was thinking of using my climbing stand along the scrap line first thing Saturday morning? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This is just my experience.......when I see a bunch of fresh scrapes you almost can't help but hunt them. But personally speaking its rarely paid off, but it has occasionally. I know a buck does come back to them because they are freshened up but it must be after dark or simply during daylight hours when I'm not there. You could try making a mock scrape, fake rubs and put a little urine scent around to get the deer curious to check out who the new "deer" in the area is.

G

·
i have heard that hunting over scrapes just after a snowfall or rain because that is when the deer will go back to freshen them up.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to pop a stand up and hunt them for a couple days and see what happens... Or put a trail cam up on them if you have one, and see if they are being hit during daylight hours...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience hunting scrapes, but on the land I hunt, I noticed a few days ago 5 new scrapes within 60 yards of each other. A few weeks ago, I saw a really nice buck walking towards where I now know the scrapes are. I was out there hunting on Friday night and decided to put my cam near the biggest scrape. Sure enough, I caught him on cam. So, I plan to monitor it, to see if I can determine a pattern (if he has one). I'll post my findings, in hopes of answering your question a little better.

I'll attach pics of the culprit too......lol

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I sounds like it might be worth my while to hunt them then. I know that the trail cam would answer alot of questions and I should just step up to the plate and get one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have setup on scrapes a few times in the past. What i've found from my cameras is there is not 1 buck that typically uses a scrape, but a range of them from dominant to young bucks. The scrape i had a camera on last year had 2 different dominant bucks and 4 bucks ranging from 1 1/2yr old to 3 1/2yr old. If you are looking to shoot a buck, just setup and wait.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Bucks run scrap lines. They may not show up at that scrap again for days if at all, but on the other hand a other buck may drop in for a visit. Get your stand up days before you hunt and leave it up. When the rut is on I find midday and early afternoon the best time to be in the stand. Putting down a mock scrape wouldn't hunt also. Also stay out of the area unless you are going to hunt, as little disturbance goes along way in being successful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts