Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

New mature hunter and my 13 yr old son need mentor

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  shareduff073 
#1 ·
I'm brand new to hunting. Me and my 13 year old son are looking for a hunting partner/mentor. Getting pretty discouraged as I can't seem to find any resources for new adult hunters, seems to be for youth only. We are interested in hunting gamebird, some waterfowl (particularly geese) and whitetail. We have our hunter safety and our own firearms. Please contact me if you're interested in helping out or need a partner, keeping in mind we are brand new to this and have a lot to learn. TIA

#2 ·
welcome aboard!

You'll find lots of great information here, for sure. I came back to hunting after a long absence, basically from my childhood to middle-adulthood, so I totally get what you're saying about no resources for adults. I'm not in a position to assist, but hopefully someone else will be.

Cheers!

#3 ·
There are few (no?) mentored hunts through MWF for adult males. But if you're female, you might be in luck. They don't have anything planned right now, probably due to covid.

#6 ·
I'd be willing to go with you and your son for some upland (currently teaching my 11 year old son) ... you get the permissions on the land, I'll show you the ropes and what to look for. If land is an issue, let's discuss. I'm always hesitant to take strangers to any of my spots because I've had guys go back to them without me (and my land owner permissions) and muck it up for me, or share with others - some trust needs to be built.

I have a 16 year old and 11 year old son (turning 12 this winter). I often take my 11 year old out and he's learning to handle my dogs.

If we get along and build some trust after awhile, I may even let you hunt over my dogs and take you to some of my spots. (I only let a very select few people hunt over my dogs, not only are they very expensive investments, they are family and I've see / heard too many horror stories - so nothing personal).