Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a new hunter, and have set my sights on upland/grouse hunting!

I have tried to do as much research as possible, but find nothing in life is like first hand knowledge from those with actual experience.

I am not expecting to be given your “spots” but would appreciate any pointers, or tips for someone starting out this time of year. I have tried a couple of times in Agassiz/Milner Ridge - but sadly no luck after many hours of hiking. Should I venture more off side paths/game trails? Look higher in the trees or more in ground cover? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks to all of you, and take care.

Matt

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Matt, depends on what type of grouse you're after (spruce, ruffed, and sharptail ... and huns are fun too).

Typically, you're looking for riparian areas, windrows, bluffs, and edges of fields bordered by bushes. Look for food sources like hawthorn bushes.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree with everything Apollo said. If you're after ruffed grouse then hiking in the spring listening for drumming is a great way to locate these birds territory and put it to use in hunting season. They like swamp egdes and near water sources so beaver dams, drainage areas, ponds or lakes within couple hundred meters can hold birds. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts