Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder why most hunters in Manitoba don't want to consider bow hunting as an option? I know other Provinces such as Alberta have a tremendous amount of bow hunters and a tremendous amount of new bow hunters taking up the sport. As a resident of Manitoba and a bow hunter I would really like to see more people adopt this style of hunting. I am not complaining or anything but it seems we are behind the times a little bit when it comes to bow hunting.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree bow hunting is an awesome option. People may be too lazy or busy, realistically bow hunting does take a lot more time and effort than rifle hunting, but once they try it they quickly get hooked. It's such an up close and personal hunt, challenging, and such a huge feeling of success when you harvest something. Plus it extends the hunting season!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I did archery for a while, my issue is I love hunting waterfowl and upland gamebird, and I also enjoy hunting with my muzzleloader and rifle for deer, Hard to do it all, It's okay though, my bow gets a HUGE workout every spring from bowfishing suckers and carp.
I will say this, hunting small game like grouse and rabbits with a bow is a TON of fun for those who have not tried it. Eventually, I want to hunt geese with a recruve bow (assuming it's legal).

·
Registered
557 Posts
offshoreonly said:
I did archery for a while, my issue is I love hunting waterfowl and upland gamebird, and I also enjoy hunting with my muzzleloader and rifle for deer, Hard to do it all, It's okay though, my bow gets a HUGE workout every spring from bowfishing suckers and carp.
I will say this, hunting small game like grouse and rabbits with a bow is a TON of fun for those who have not tried it. Eventually, I want to hunt geese with a recruve bow (assuming it's legal).
I see your point, I love archery so much I tend to skip muzzle and rifle. But between all the great hunting and fishing opportunities we are lucky enough to have in this province, it's hard to do it all and usually something has to get pushed aside. I guess for lots of guys it's bow hunting. Great point!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use to bow hunt too and it does take a lot of time. With 3 small kids I don't have the time to put into the hunt like I want to and it is easier to just go out with the rifle. The other thing is I also like bird hunting too so something has to give.

I might be wrong with this statement but it was my understanding that in Alberta that you get one tag for deer hunting and you can use any weapon to hunt with that tag, and like here in Manitoba there are areas that are Archery only areas, but its the same tag. I guess it is the same it is this year here in Manitoba.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think with places like the two bow only zones in Alberta that being Edmonton and Calgary gives bow hunters a lot of option when it comes to bow hunting.

·
Banned
216 Posts
lovetofish said:
I use to bow hunt too and it does take a lot of time. With 3 small kids I don't have the time to put into the hunt like I want to and it is easier to just go out with the rifle
Nothing could be further from the truth in my case. With work, little kids etc. was getting difficult to rifle hunt properly, but hunting with a bow gave me the opportunity to hunt A LOT (way more then I use to gun hunt, no comparison whatsoever) be very close to home, and still catch my kids activities. Win win situation. That was 20 years ago, hasn't hunted with guns since...and the kids aren't little for a long time now.
Gun hunting totally lost it's attraction with me over the years, and used to love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
brasso said:
lovetofish said:
I use to bow hunt too and it does take a lot of time. With 3 small kids I don't have the time to put into the hunt like I want to and it is easier to just go out with the rifle
Nothing could be further from the truth in my case. With work, little kids etc. was getting difficult to rifle hunt properly, but hunting with a bow gave me the opportunity to hunt A LOT (way more then I use to gun hunt, no comparison whatsoever) be very close to home, and still catch my kids activities. Win win situation. That was 20 years ago, hasn't hunted with guns since...and the kids aren't little for a long time now.
Gun hunting totally lost it's attraction with me over the years, and used to love it.
I Guess everyones situation is different...that is why there should be no judgement. Everyone has there reasons why they choose to hunt one way over another.

And I guess for me the reason I choose the rifle over the bow was I always hunted bow on crown land and to get closer to home ended up being a lot of hard work to find permission on land close to home and with all the scouting needed to hunt on crown land it just made it a lot eaier to just pick up the rifle and go rifle hunting. And 20 years ago might have been a little easier to get land, or knowing family or friends with land. Coming from another province added to the challenge of getting land as not too many people knew who I was and nobody to vouch for me or make suggestions. I hear what you are saying with and there is no comparison to bow hunting. And like I said everyone's situation is different, but in the end we all like to hunt and nobody can take that away from us, there might be compromise but not taken away.

And once my kids get older I will get back into it. But for now that is the way it is. To this day when I find time I am trying to find land, but someone has already got permission and has had it for years in some cases.

Not sure why I felt I had to justify myself but I did....and I hope people can understand it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The less hunters equal better hunting opertunities, I don't know about you you guys, but I just love when other hunters are hunting the same area that I am, I almost always leave. So for anyone thinking of taking up the sport DON"T its a waste of time and money!lol. The big push by the hunting media to get young hunters involved is just about money, more hunters will buy more product.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Comes down to priorities and preferences for me.
I used to bow hunt more but I don't have as much time and I prefer hunting waterfowl so bow hunting got pushed aside. I hunt birds till they are gone then switch to deer. Usually towards the end of muzzle season. If the birds stayed here longer I probably wouldn't even hunt deer.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
I can barely find the time to rifle hunt and may not go this year. As far as archery goes I do not feel the need to prove to myself or any one else that I can do it. If it wacks your string then do it. I just do not feel the need, or have the time.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Toban said:
I prefer hunting waterfowl so bow hunting got pushed aside. I hunt birds till they are gone then switch to deer. Usually towards the end of muzzle season. If the birds stayed here longer I probably wouldn't even hunt deer.
I like birdhunting too, I just don't know what the heck to do with all the birds after. How many does one need, and the season is long.

·
Banned
216 Posts
ldb pikester said:
As far as archery goes I do not feel the need to prove to myself or any one else that I can do it. If it wacks your string then do it.

Neither do I, I do it because I like it, and that's that....(besides that I have to prove to myself, and everybody else that I can do it :roll:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
[offtopic:38vhjytx]Ilike birdhunting too, I just don't know what the heck to do with all the birds after. How many does one need, and the season is long.[/offtopic:38vhjytx]

Same thing you do with deer meat. Prep it, freeze it, enjoy throughout the year. You can also get sausage made just like venison. One year a buddy got a bunch cured like ham. It was great.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I love bowhunting!!! Haven't been able to get out the last two seasons just because I haven't had time to shoot... To each their own, but I don't think that we should be turning anyone of any age away from the sport to make more "room" for ourselves... That's selfish IMO... We live in a huge province with great hunting opportunities that should be available to anyone who wants to try them out!!!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
brasso said:
I like birdhunting too, I just don't know what the heck to do with all the birds after. How many does one need, and the season is long.
Say what? Jerky, pepperoni, breakfast sausage, slow cooked then pulled. Or if you really don't know what to do with so many birds, don't kill as many. Very strange post! :oops:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
André said:
brasso said:
Say what? Jerky, pepperoni, breakfast sausage, slow cooked then pulled. Or if you really don't know what to do with so many birds, don't kill as many. Very strange post! :oops:
Do you not have posession limits?

·
Banned
216 Posts
Riggs said:
André said:
brasso said:
Do you not have posession limits?
There is of course, but still too much venison overall.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im a new bowhunter! so its still attracting people, I try to get as many responsible people interested in it as i can, starting with the girlfriend and our newborn that is expected this December. Im 23 years young so plenty of time to grow into a great bowhunter im sure. I'll stick around here and keep you updated on how my first year is going. learning lots already and having the best year of my life so far, i've found my life long passion

1 - 20 of 51 Posts