Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a big hunter but how do you guys feel about this. I always liked getting 2 deer. That would get me through a year with meat but then again I have seen so few deer over the last few years? probably a good thing to let the population recover? thoughts? maybe take a few wolves and coyotes out instead..lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
Doesn't bother me, if the powers that be think this is a solution then why not try it. Personally where I hunt there are tons of deer still

·
Registered
78 Posts
Doesn't bother me much either. I did enjoy getting trying for a a meat deer with ML and then looking for a big boy during general but, if that's what it takes, so be it. In my area (South Interlake) we don't have much for wolves, just lots of yotes and a lot of guys, myself included, hunt them in the winter.
Another winter like last year and deer numbers should rebound nicely.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The one deer doesn't bother me. The Mickey Duck management we are getting from Man Con. does bother me!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Its a joke! Its a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. They need to be doing more to target the wolf and coyote population. Go bucks only for a year, as mentioned above last winter should've been easy on the deer and if we get another one like that this year I'm sure it will be back to normal. Some well educated person sitting behind a desk with no experience out in the field came up with this one I'm sure.
I don't know how it will be enforced. I hunt miner ridge alot which is one deer but up by Lac du Bonnet you can get multiple tags. So my question is how are they gonna know where that deer comes from?

·
Registered
30 Posts
highlandglen guide said:
Its a joke! Its a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. They need to be doing more to target the wolf and coyote population. Go bucks only for a year, as mentioned above last winter should've been easy on the deer and if we get another one like that this year I'm sure it will be back to normal. Some well educated person sitting behind a desk with no experience out in the field came up with this one I'm sure.
I don't know how it will be enforced. I hunt miner ridge alot which is one deer but up by Lac du Bonnet you can get multiple tags. So my question is how are they gonna know where that deer comes from?

I spoke with Manitoba Wildlife and he told me they lost over 40% of the deer population "last winter"... not the mild winter that just past.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Better off to try and do something than nothing at all. Is their approach going to hurt the deer population? No.

Want to spend more time in the field, take your son/daughter, wife,(well maybe not wife),or next door neighbor out. If that doesn't work, go work on the exploding wolf and coyote population. Go chicken hunting. Take up trapping. There is lots to do out there, all while enjoying our great outdoors.

Maybe this experiment will help the trophy potential and in years of high populations, they can manage the numbers with anterless tags.

Give it a chance. We've done the bucks only thing in the past and yes it does help the population rebound, but has done nothing to help the quality of bucks out there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If they are ever going to do the buck only route, they should implement some kind of antler restrictions. A legal buck would have to have atleast 4 points on one side of its rack, or something like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts