Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never hunted these areas but was thinking about giving it a shot when i am back in town this weekend. I planed on launching the boat at EOM and making my way to one of the "pools" on the east side of the river.

Should i have any concerns heading out there or does anyone that hunts in that area have any advice for me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Watch the wind, that marsh is notorious for the wind tides. North winds brings water in and south winds pushes it out. The marsh is huge, so make sure you have a good map and a GPS with full batteries.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
And a fully charged cell phone to call for help if you get caught in the wind tides that Chris mentioned.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys i am going to try and get out there for an afternoon/evening hunt on sunday.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was hunting Libou from shore along Upper Devils Lake on Sat. Watched the water come up about 3-4 feet in the time we were there with the North West Winds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hunted the Netley area on Sunday and in the 2 hours i hunted the water dropped over a 1ft. you have to watch that you don't get stranded and know a deeper area to get out of the Marsh. If there is a heavy south wind I would stay to the main chanells.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LeeMB said:
I hunted the Netley area on Sunday and in the 2 hours i hunted the water dropped over a 1ft. you have to watch that you don't get stranded and know a deeper area to get out of the Marsh. If there is a heavy south wind I would stay to the main chanells.
Thanks Lee i think i will just make sure when i go to check the wind forecast prior and watch it when i'm out there especially the first couple times when im getting familiarized with the area. Lots of birds moving on Sunday?

·
Registered
244 Posts
There are lakes in Netley that always hold water no matter how long the south winds have been blowing. Lower Devils is one of them. It is also one of the lakes that has rocks in it in Netley. The marsh is dying and I find it a waste of time and I get to mad when I go there. It used to be a really great place to hunt and I wouldn't even think of hunting elsewhere but it is almost dead and reeds and cat tails are dying out like you wouldn't believe. Spend a few more minutes on the road and look around. There are a ton of ducks around right now and while we aren't seeing tons of geese, the ones we are seeing are pretty callable.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I forgot. We always cut a reed or two and watch the water climb up or down and you have a pretty good indication how much it is changing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out last sunday, launched at the end of main went into the marsh on the east side of the river and found a small body of water. Only managed 8.

·
Registered
445 Posts
This year with the lower water, when the south winds blow it really drops the water to almost mud flats in some areas. Checked a few spots yesterday and there was maybe a foot and a half of water in some spots. No ducks to speak of, no flight at all. Big fat skunk!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well was a decent day, got out to the marsh around 8 left at 130. Managed 10 ducks(should have limited out) and got 5 geese. had a flock of 15 or so geese land right in our duck decoys never had that happen before. As soon as the wind picked up everything started flying so we shuter down. The ride back was..... interesting in the 14foot lund. That opening where the big pond on the west blows into the river was very rough wouldnt go out there again with 60km winds.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How's the river from EOM to the marsh entrances (pools)? Is he EOM an actual launch or would a guy with a bigger boat struggle? I'm pretty sure they'd spot me from far...17 ft Lund fishing boat with all sorts of shiny metal parts, def not a hunting rig.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i heard there are docks in at EOM again.

Evan, depending on where you were, there are other ways to get into the marsh besides EOM. pm me if you are interested.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes EOM has a brand new launch with 2 spots to launch and about 10 places to tie up ur boat if waiting to use the launch. Jondur you would'nt have a problem launching. Ill pm you Jimmy

·
Registered
303 Posts
Marsh was good to me this morning. Shot three mallards and one teal. Geese were high above or low and half a mile away. I missed a whole bunch. I did notice many woodcock flying in the field to marsh transition areas.

That's my grandad's late 50's semi auto Franchi 48AL beside my pup. Still works like a charm.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts