Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know a good/ not expensive taxidermist ? i got a bear 2 years ago and its about time i got him made in to a rug
I just skinned him out left the head and paws on and froze the lot can i just give this to a taxidermist ? do i need to get the skin to a tannery? i have no idea i just have a skin and want a rug

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Unfortunately, like fine art, the words good and not expensive don't usually go together when it comes to taxidermy. The frozen hide can be taken to the taxidermist of your choice. Just keep it frozen on your trip to him. The taxidermist will ship it to a tannery. Did you salt the hide before freezing it? If not, let him know that, because the hide will probably have to be salted and dried before he ships it out, or else the hair will start to slip (fall out).

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would like to be able to help you, but due to illness I am now faced with,having a bit of a battle to face with throat cancer,I am not taking in any bears this spring,able to do a few smaller things like birds and fish,but even those have now become a challenge with the Radiation treatments....having said that,anyone else that has contacted me about doing bears, I've been refering them to Wes, at Mr Fish Taxidermy in Hazleridge. Wes does spectacular work,especially so with his lifesize mamals, Game Heads etc. He takes pride in his work, and I can gaurantee you would be thrilled with the finished product.
As Mike mentioned,you will not usually find good and inexpensive together....always tell my customers to shop for quality FIRST.and worry a bout the price after.
Pretty sure if you look up Mr Fish Taxidermy,you can see his work, and more than likely his prices. I'm guessing it'll be somewher b/w $150-$200 per lin. ft. So a 6' bruin may cost around the $12-1400 for a rug.
If you want to just have it tanned, you can skin out the head and feet, then you will have to flesh off all remaining fat and meat,BEFORE you salt it. You could always contact the Tannery International Fur Dressers in St.Boniface, I'm sure they would do the fleshing part,but obviously they will charge for that too.
Hopefully you havent salted it before freezing, as that is taxidermist nightmare, the salt does help dry the hide,but it also dries all fat and meat to the hide making removal almost impossible.
Hopefully this will help,but please get back to me later this year if you have anything else perhaps....as I am gonna beat this dam C !!
Goodluck,Ron

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
[offtopic:313tbrjw]Ron, that throat cancer thing just flat out sucks. Keep the faith my friend. My wife and I will keep you in our prayers.[/offtopic:313tbrjw]
Thanks for the reminder about removing all the fat and meat before salting. I don't even give that a thought because I do that automatically, as I learned how to skin game from a local taxidermist, and that's the way he taught me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice i haven't salted it yet. I have my heart set on a rug and im gunna check out the guy you recommended i will keep you informed
and the big C you can beat it !!!! my grandmother just beat lung cancer at 76 years old it was there and unopperable then it was gone with no trace absolute miracle. Good luck and kick its ass!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Cancer is a terrible thing and i wish you all the luck in beating it!!!

Northland Taxidermy does great work....

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
buleye said:
i might be able to help..ill pm you some info
buleye, welcome to MHF. Thanks for joining us, and, thanks for your offer to help with information on his bear rug project. :campfire:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts