Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all I need some advice here. I never camped lakeside in the whiteshell. I want to take the family out camping to a nice place thatis close to good fishing. I also require showers and decent washroom facilities. I know of Otter Falls but is there anywhere else that would be super nice? I heard Otter doesn't have much grass in the camp sites.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Lots of nice campgrounds in the Whiteshell.....the shower thing will definitely put a damper on your search

·
Registered
158 Posts
Big Whiteshell and Nutimik are probably the best in the area. Nutimik has modern shower and washroom facilities and even has yurts that are really family friendly and reasonable to rent. The sites are larger than ones found in most campgrounds. I also found that they are pretty sheltered from each other. There are even some that are right on the Winnipeg River.

Big Whiteshell has a boat launch in the campground as Nutimik does. there is no cell service the last time I was there if that is important to you. Showers are not bad, same as washrooms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have not been there for a few years, I think the only sites with much grass were at West Hawk Lake, Barrier Bay? (used to be Opaskat or something?) and some of the sites in the Big Whiteshell. The foot traffic pretty much killed most of the grasses, but some site still had patches. The more heavily treed sites seem to have the least grasses - but we found those sites the most private.
Enjoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys! I actually found 2 electrical side by side sites at Big Whiteshell for 8 days! I hope they will be OK....reserved them both :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
when you planning on going Dave?? walleye fishing can be real good at times on Big ******.....you can always venture to Caddy Lake if you've never been, take the boat thru the tunnels into South Cross and North Cross......really nice picnic spot at the end of North Cross just before the portage into South Sailing Lake

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
booked for the week of the 20th end of July during our shop shut down. I HATE that time of the year to be camping but I have no control over it. Hope the fishing will be OK.
Oh we got section C. across from some non elec on the South end of the park.

·
Registered
158 Posts
straight-pipe said:
booked for the week of the 20th end of July during our shop shut down. I HATE that time of the year to be camping but I have no control over it. Hope the fishing will be OK.
Oh we got section C. across from some non elec on the South end of the park.
Fairly open in C for the most part, but I'm sure you will still enjoy it. The full service B sites on the north side along with the D section are the most private. A is ok.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have camped at the Big Whiteshell A LOT... what sites in C did you get??
I can tell you exactly what you are in for... and TBH if you are in C1 to C9 you probably won't be happy... "don't shoot the messenger". ;O)

Let me know what the site #s are.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The other nice thing about big whiteshell is that it is really close to Crowduck. The fishing can be unreal in that lake, but it is all catch and release. I have not fished big whiteshell often mostly just drop in, and paddle across it to get into crowduck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts