Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 16 year old sons first buck. Taken on opening day of the youth muzzleloader season October 22nd 2012.
Shot with a T/C Encore using Barnes TMZ bullets. The deer went straight down and never got up. I give him credit for passing on some big does and small bucks the last two years. Ending the season with an empty tag is a tough thing for a young hunter. Now that his standards are set this high , it's going to be tough to follow up with something bigger!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying to add these pictures to the contest section. Anyone know if this is close enough or do I need to try and add it to the others?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
ajbt88 said:
I was trying to add these pictures to the contest section. Anyone know if this is close enough or do I need to try and add it to the others?

Thanks
I think it will be okay here, but since Riggs started the contest, I'll let him decide if he wants to move it!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice first buck...nice buck ANY time,congrats to Jr. and to Dad,nice 5x5!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Congratulations on your first buck young fella! Tremendous animal!

Gun placement, besides the obvious safety issue, could also be the determining factor in not winning a contest. Unfortunate if it does! Muzzle control is ALWAYS the first priority!

Again, very nice buck! Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Patty said:
ajbt88 said:

Thanks
I think it will be okay here, but since Riggs started the contest, I'll let him decide if he wants to move it!!!
Can't believe you're having me make a decision like this on a Saturday morning, when I'm out of coffee... :lmao: . No problem...Since I'm soooo easy, I'll let photos posted anywhere on MHF qualify as an entry. Now, I've got to go find some coffee.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
ajbt88 said:
This is my 16 year old sons first buck. Taken on opening day of the youth muzzleloader season October 22nd 2012.
Shot with a T/C Encore using Barnes TMZ bullets. The deer went straight down and never got up. I give him credit for passing on some big does and small bucks the last two years. Ending the season with an empty tag is a tough thing for a young hunter. Now that his standards are set this high , it's going to be tough to follow up with something bigger!
What a nice buck! Beats the daylights out of my first buck...a young forked horn.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Any reasonable hunter should be very happy to take that buck at any time in any season, not just being your first or second or tenth. As I get older, I feel that while we all would like to shoot a real monster. Shooting a deer or not shooting a deer just because of inches is well distastefull. You sometimes hear of people seeing antlers, shooting, then looking and not being pleased walking away leaving the animal, well you know what I think of that.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
ldb pikester said:
Any reasonable hunter should be very happy to take that buck at any time in any season, not just being your first or second or tenth. As I get older, I feel that while we all would like to shoot a real monster. Shooting a deer or not shooting a deer just because of inches is well distastefull. You sometimes hear of people seeing antlers, shooting, then looking and not being pleased walking away leaving the animal, well you know what I think of that.
X2

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
That's a biggun. VERY nice for a first buck especially.

I hunt to fill a freezer, but it's also become an antler thing for me too. I'll be waiting around for the 10 days I have booked off, if I have to, to take a buck that beats my personal best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all for your comments and congrats.
As far as safety concerns .....point taken. Muzzle
direction is always first and formost. I assure you
that the muzzleloader was empty however that is no excuse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts