Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been having no luck at my stand, so i set up at a new spot not far away. South wind so i was able to sneak in, but didnt bring my blind cause i didnt want to make too much noise. Got set up early, put out the decoy not far off the bush line, thinking the deer would come from the south of me. So after an hour or so of waiting, i look out towards a little willow bluff in the middle of a field next to the one im hunting, and out comes a deer on a full trot right towards my decoy! Holy crap! so i crouch down and grab my bow and look up and hes at 30 yards! Grab a quick glance at horns, and was a WIDE 5 for sure, maybe more, no time! He puts his nose to the ground and keeps walking, at this point he notices me, but doesnt seem too concerned, keeps looking at me and the decoy, wish he didnt come straight into me! At 15 yards he looks back at the bluff and i take this opportunity to draw on him......and bam off he bolts! Out of all my scouting and watching a couple fields close by i havent seen this buck, and i hope to hell i'll see him again! Kicking myself for not bringing my blind now, but who knows if that would've made a difference! I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight, and have nightmares of him all night! Definately the biggest deer ive ever had the chance to shoot and hopefully ill see him again! So are they rutting? i doubt full on, but i'd say its starting. Try again in the morning in my stand and see if i can catch anything coming back from the alfalfa field.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Man thats an awesome hunt, sorry it didn't quite work out but hunts like that are what keeps us addicted and coming back. Those big boys don't get that way by being stupid. The rut should hopefully help things a bit and hopefully another buck will slip up and give you an opportunity. Thanks for the story.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
They should be starting now... chasing, fighting etc... Its that time of year... Highland, everyday out there is a learning experience, I hope to learn something new every time I go out!!! Good luck on your up coming hunts!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So sitting here replaying the whole thing im wondering if i should've waited for him to get bored of the decoy and have him walk away then try a shot? Or wouldve he bolted when he figured out the decoy wasn't real? My first year hunting with a decoy...anyone have any thoughts? Only my second year bow hunting and still sporting a zero on deer killed with it. Would've been a hell of a first!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Shoulda, woulda, coulda. No way to know what would have happened if you did things differently. Just call it experience.
Every year I learn a lesson from some mistake I've made. But every year I get better.

·
Registered
557 Posts
highlandglen guide said:
So sitting here replaying the whole thing im wondering if i should've waited for him to get bored of the decoy and have him walk away then try a shot? Or wouldve he bolted when he figured out the decoy wasn't real? My first year hunting with a decoy...anyone have any thoughts? Only my second year bow hunting and still sporting a zero on deer killed with it. Would've been a hell of a first!
Sounds like you did everything right in that situation, it just happens sometimes. If you need anyone without a tag to help you try to notch yours by the end of season I may know someone available ;) . Or someone to video, whatever, Ill be bored after I winterizing the boat this week and just like being out there.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
How did you have your decoy facing??? When on the ground I like to have it facing towards me so when the buck circles around he should present a quartering away shot and be looking away from me when I draw my bow... Never killed one over a decoy, but have had lots of smaller bucks respond that I have drawn on without being busted...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Awesome story! This is the first year of archery hunting for my wife and me, and we can relate to the excitement you felt! The very first time we were out, my wife was in mid-draw on a fork buck from 10 yards away, when a doe (who we thought had left) let out a loud blow...needless to say, the buck "forked" off. BUT!!!! that was so exciting, we chalked it up to a successful hunt. Since then, we have purchased a blind, since we keep getting busted by deer because of movement. It seems we have our scent concealed properly, but movement has been the issue. Yesterday we were out in the blind for the first time, and wow!!! We had does about 8 yards from us, eating.......with NO idea that we were there. It was amazing!!!! Anyway, just wanted to share that we know the excitement you must have felt seeing a big brute like that walk up to you. Congrats, and go get 'em!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Patty said:
How did you have your decoy facing??? When on the ground I like to have it facing towards me so when the buck circles around he should present a quartering away shot and be looking away from me when I draw my bow... Never killed one over a decoy, but have had lots of smaller bucks respond that I have drawn on without being busted...
When i was looking at it, it was facing to my left(north) with thoughts the deer would come from the south and this guy came from the east. If he wouldn't have come in so quick i would've drawn when he was further out and waited for him

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
strtbobber said:
Awesome story! This is the first year of archery hunting for my wife and me, and we can relate to the excitement you felt! The very first time we were out, my wife was in mid-draw on a fork buck from 10 yards away, when a doe (who we thought had left) let out a loud blow...needless to say, the buck "forked" off. BUT!!!! that was so exciting, we chalked it up to a successful hunt. Since then, we have purchased a blind, since we keep getting busted by deer because of movement. It seems we have our scent concealed properly, but movement has been the issue. Yesterday we were out in the blind for the first time, and wow!!! We had does about 8 yards from us, eating.......with NO idea that we were there. It was amazing!!!! Anyway, just wanted to share that we know the excitement you must have felt seeing a big brute like that walk up to you. Congrats, and go get 'em!!! Good luck!
Definitely a rush having a deer that close! I have a ground blind but didnt want to set it up due to the noise factor....second guessing that decision now! Lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
highlandglen guide said:
strtbobber said:
Definitely a rush having a deer that close! I have a ground blind but didnt want to set it up due to the noise factor....second guessing that decision now! Lol
Yeah, I hear ya. We set ours up around noon one day, then been hunting in it since a few days after that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have hunted deer with a rifle for over 30 years. In my opinion if you are expecting to get a healthy deer, with a bow, at 15 yards while you are on foot, you are asking too much of yourself. The hunting gods will sometimes force this upon a deer, but generally not.

·
Registered
557 Posts
ldb pikester said:
I have hunted deer with a rifle for over 30 years. In my opinion if you are expecting to get a healthy deer, with a bow, at 15 yards while you are on foot, you are asking too much of yourself. The hunting gods will sometimes force this upon a deer, but generally not.
I have to respectfully disagree. I have shot multiple deer with my bow while ground hunting at under 15 yards, in fact once at 6 feet( now that was an awesome hunt!!). If the wind is right, you're cover is right, and you make movements at the right time there's no reason it can't be done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with clawj. We just got in from hunting tonight, and we were held hostage for the last half hour because 3 does were eating 8 yards in front of us. We have seen many deer inside of 10 yards, in the past 2 weeks, that we could have taken. So far, we're still holding out for a buck, though.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have to agree with Jamie as well, if he wouldnt have came in so quick i wouldve been drawn while he was at 30-40 yards out just had no chance to do that with him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts