Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I actually got a deer up here yesterday... My girlfriend, her dad and I went chicken/deer hunting... They were after chickens and I brought the muzzleloader along "just in case"... I had been out the previous two days and hadn't seen a deer, a deer track, a deer hair, I mean nothing!!! So I'm walking up this trail and see a bit of movement and this doe pops out at 100yds (I ranged it later and it was bang on 100)...So I get a good rest and settle the cross-hairs behind the front shoulder and let buck... My muzzleloader sounded like a 22mag!!! But she tucked tail and dove in the bush... I thought I had a good hit on her but really was concerned with how the gun sounded... I gave her about half an hour before the initial tracking began... We began looking for blood and couldn't find nothing, then the sky's opened up and washed whatever blood I may have found away... I backed out and came home had a bite to eat got dried out etc. then was back at it... There was a very steep ridge on one side of the trail and another on the other side about 75yds apart... I figured she wouldn't climb those ridges if she was wounded and would be in the bottom of them somewhere... After a long wet mud filled afternoon I ended up spotting her laying in some willows and was able to put another one in her to finish what I started... When I got to her it turned out there was very little penetration on my initial shot, barley breaking the skin... I'm thinking there may have been moisture in the barrel when I loaded that morning and that's why the shot sounded funny... Now I was about two miles from the truck through some nasty stuff and all by myself so the dragging process was hell!!! But I got her to the truck around 6:30 and called the GF to come with the half ton to pick her up... Me and the deer had gained about 100lbs of mud and water on the way out and I was pretty tuckered by the time we got her loaded up... So i'm sorry there is no pics to go with this but neither me or the deer were picture worthy!!! All in all it was a good day and I was very happy to find her!!! And I did manage to find a couple areas that seem to have a couple jumpers hanging around, so maybe the next one will be a goodun!!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Sounds like you had a heck of a rough time getting her out of the woods. I applaud your success, as well as your diligence in retrieving her.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I firmly believe we owe to the animals we hunt to make every effort possible to retrieve them quickly... Bad shots happen, its part of hunting, its what we do after those bad shots that makes a hunter a hunter...

That is the first time I've ever had a "weird" shot out of my Genesis, and I hope I never have to do it again!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good work Patty.
That is probably the worst part of a hunt. Trying to track an animal when there is little to no sign.
Been there, done it.
Way to stick with it!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It wasn't easy!!! And I'm sore today!!! But the delicious Back strap stew I just finished made it all worth while!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good job on bagging the ever so elusive Wanipigow Whitetail. You have a better chance of catching Sasquatch than bagging a whitetail in that country. Fine job on finding her too in what would have been some very tough conditions.

I have one issue with your story though, you made stew out of your backstraps? :eek: Those are to be reserved for fine grillin' recipes.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Patty said:
Sorta like stew... LOL
Hey Patty...it's your deer...do with it what you like. Some years I have mine all processed into burger and sausage. My wife isn't a big venison steak or roast fan, but doesn't mind it ground up with seasonings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts