Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out with a buddy to his and his Uncles bear hunting spots Friday night. It's always been something I've wanted to do, especially with my bow, so I had to take them up with their offer to allow me hunt there. The game plan was to have me in one tree and my buddy in the next tree over videoing. I've never hunted bears before so I had asked him to give me a thumbs up to let me know if it was a shooter( I'm not too concerned about getting the worlds biggest bear I just wanted something decent). He saw a lone bear coming in before I saw it, then it came into both of our views. I looked over and he gave me a thumbs up, so knowing it was an average size bear I grabbed my bow and nocked the arrow. He came to the barrel but when I drew back he looked at me and turned. He was walking away and with my deer hunting mentality I had a small opening between 2 trees before he was behind cover so as he stepped into the opening I let him have it. We gave him some time and got down with some light to do the tracking, we followed a massive blood trail for quite a ways and then heard him get up so instead of pushing him we went back this morning. Found him close to where we left off, the shot was a little low. It was a great experience, I learned some stuff, conquered a little fear I have of bears, and had a blast. He has a nice brown undertone that doesnt show up that great in the pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Sweeet, and with a bow too. What are you doing with the bear? There's a guy (Oaktree) on ManitobaHunters who can bronze the skull for you, it looks pretty cool...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a question before I start cutting this thing up..... It's crawling with ticks so any suggestion on anyways to get rid of them or do you just go to it. I'd prefer not to have fifty ticks on me afterwards .

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know any tricks to get rid of them quick...i helped skin a bear years ago and you could barely see your forearms cause they were covered in wood ticks crawling off the bear! The only thing i could think of is to let the bear sit for alittle longer and let the ticks fall off on their own, or just go to it and deal with the ticks. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Atta boy Jamie.....congrats man

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats Jamie!

Sorry I cant help you out with this one, and hopefully you got that info I sent on how to process it,until you get it to the tannery?
Yep,those tics sure can get nasty,course you dont have a choice when you have to skin them,but can always get rid of them once it's bagged and in the freezer.
Always remember after skinning your bear..to open it up (skin side up) to let hide cool off (in the shade,not direct sun)before rolling it up,and puting into plastic bags for the freezer. Also helps to spray the hide with Raid,roll it up and into the bag...will kill most. Remember days when fleshing bears yrs ago at Hawkins Taxidermy...they'd be crawling all over us...some people would freak,and couldnt do it,I'd try not to let it bother me...mind over matter.

If you decide you want to do something with the skull,and not sure what to do...feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
A permethrin spray will take care of those critters real quick, and won't damage the hair or hide. I use it on my trophy room mounts to prevent insect damage.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts