Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot in 1980. Used a Remington 700 in 30:06 and a Remington Core-lokt 220 grain bullet. The bear wasn't a monster...6', 204 pounds dressed weight, and a tooth sample showed him to be 3 1/2 years old. Had a perfect coat, and some huge paws.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He came from my home state of Pennsylvania. I was very lucky, because back then, the bear season was only 1 day long, and hunter success was under 1%. I took him while stillhunting a steep mountainside above a swamp.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a rug made, and gave it to my mother.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A one day season, that seems very tuff. How did you know that you had a good chance to get one, to even bother buying a tag for a one day season. Back then do you remember was it a general tag or did you have to put in for a draw.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ldb pikester said:
A one day season, that seems very tuff. How did you know that you had a good chance to get one, to even bother buying a tag for a one day season. Back then do you remember was it a general tag or did you have to put in for a draw.
I hadn't even planned on going...a co-worker talked me in to going with him. I had never hunted the area before, so my taking the boar was pure luck. The general hunting license back then cost $8.50, and included a buck deer tag, a bear tag, spring and fall turkey tags, and small game license...For an additional $2.50 you could purchase an archery tag which entitled you to take either a buck or doe during the archery season...however, if you shot a buck during the archery season, you weren't allowed to take another buck during the general buck season. It was one buck a year. There was also a special doe license, available by drawing, that was available during the rifle doe season, which was always the Monday and Tuesday following the two week rifle buck season. Does couldn't be taken during the general rifle buck season....only bucks...and, if you took a doe during the archery deer season, you couldn't take another one during the rifle doe season, even if you drew the tag. It was one deer a year...period. And, if you were unsuccessful during the archery and rifle deer seasons, you could purchase a muzzle loader license (flintlock only) for the primitive weapons season which was the week between Christmas and New Years.

Archery season lasted a month, general rifle deer season was two weeks, doe season was 2 days, bear season 1 day, muzzle loader season was 1 week, and small game season was a month. There was no open season on elk. There was, however, a late season archery hunt conducted for a week in January, as well as a late season rabbit season for a week, also in January.

Overall hunter success ran on average about 15% for buck deer, 50% on does, and less than 1% on bear. Back then, there were approximately 1.5 to 2 million hunters in the woods during buck season. In those days, it wan't unusual to see over 100 deer a day while hunting, but the bucks were small...both in rack size, and body weight. Any buck with a spike 3" long was legal, and if someone shot a "rack buck" that was news. Dressed average weight of a buck back then was 110 to 125 pounds, and the does 65 yo 75 pounds. There were just too many of them competing for the available food. In the late 80s and through the 90s, the game commission started issuing a lot more doe tags to bring the herd numbers down, to get closer to the carrying capacity of the habitat. They also introduced more stringent antler restrictions, requiring a buck to have at least 3 points on a side for it to be legal. These changes have resulted in a much healthier deer herd with heavier bodies, and impressive racks are no longer a rarity.

Our bear population is very healthy, with some of the largest bears taken in North America. Each year, several bears are taken that exceed 600 pounds, and a couple over 700 pounds are also taken. The bear season is now 3 days long.

In addition, we also now have an elk season. They only issue several hundred tags, by special drawing, and hunter success on elk runs 30 to 40 percent. Last year a bull scoring over 400 points was taken.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I say we get some BIG bears...I mean we get some really BIG bears! This is the new state record taken in 2010.

This bear is estimated to have weighed 879 pounds, and dressed out at 744 pounds — the heaviest ever recorded in Pennsylvania — when a hunter shot it near Fernwood on Monday. It's number 2 in Boone & Crockett.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Monster bear! Impressive to get a bear in a one day season, as you did. I like the season where you can buy a tag and shoot almost anything that moves. But I think the most impressive thing might be that you remember all the details of the regulations of 32 YEARS AGO. Especially for some one your age. :) Live Well.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ldb pikester said:
Monster bear! Impressive to get a bear in a one day season, as you did. I like the season where you can buy a tag and shoot almost anything that moves. But I think the most impressive thing might be that you remember all the details of the regulations of 32 YEARS AGO. Especially for some one your age. :) Live Well.
:lol: It's impossible to remember all the details, that's why I keep journals. The tough part is trying to decipher all my scribbles. :lol:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ldb pikester said:
I keep most of the year to year hunting and fishing regulations as I'm sure you do, but I just wanted to butter you up a little. :)
Thanks buddy, I appreciate the effort, but at my age, I'm just a tad slow on the uptake. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brettwilby said:
those regs are nuts i bet there was a lot of poaching
Not as much as one might expect. I believe, in part, because the state has such a large population. On top of that, a lot of hunters are volunteer, deputy wardens.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The state game department just came out with the results of this year's 3 day rifle black bear hunt, and the largest one taken this year weighed 706 pounds, live weight (well, dead weight since it was dead when they weighed it. :lmao: )

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Patty said:
Thats a big bear!!!
The heviest bears in the states are being shot in Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Been like that for the past 20 years or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts