Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

Muzzleloading

7K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Oneye 
#1 ·
Sorry to Oneye this is his post!!!

"I notice there’s no muzzleloading section on the site, maybe this could be a new topic."

#2 ·
Not much interest in muzzleloaders? Until last year I had been using traditional style muzzleloaders and round balls, but because of having trouble with old eyes, I broke down and bought a modern muzzy. It is a Traditions Buckhunter with a 3x9 Bushnell on it. It accounted for 2 nice whitetails last season, and is sighted in ready for this season. I am using 250g smackdown sst's and 100g of Goex 3f. I have so much black powder left, I might as well use it. With only one tag this year my .243 will be left for coyotes.

#3 ·
I have a Remington Genesis.... I like although its picky about loads... 250gr Precision rifle (blue tips) on top of 110gr fffg American Pioneer powder it'll shoot around 1 1/2" @100yds... It has a simple action with very few moving parts and is a breeze to clean...

#4 ·
Mine is rather picky too, and also a snap to clean. It only takes a fraction of the time to clean as my old muzzleloaders did. The best part of muzzleloader hunting around here, is the lack of hunters. It is so much better than rifle season where so many hunt from a truck seat.

#6 ·
Nice! A ML thread. I harvested my first deer ever last year using a Savage 10ml II. My load was 100 grains of Blackhorn, MMP sabots and Hornady SST 250 grain bullet.

I've shot a few of the TC shockwaves in a 200 grain and I love flatter they shoot at 100 yds and the accuracy is good too.

I noticed that where I hunted there were no other hunters around during ML season. This is public land. Nice time to be out too weather wise.

#8 ·
I bought a Traditions Pursuit LT back in the early 2000's, and most years I have filled my ML tag and the 2nd doe tag with it. I have only shot 250gr Hornady SST's in front of 100gr 777 pellets,and they shoot good, so I have never experimented. That and I really hate cleaning the ML, even though it is easy because it is a crack barrel. :iams:

#9 ·
Tailhunter said:
I bought a Traditions Pursuit LT back in the early 2000's, and most years I have filled my ML tag and the 2nd doe tag with it. I have only shot 250gr Hornady SST's in front of 100gr 777 pellets,and they shoot good, so I have never experimented. That and I really hate cleaning the ML, even though it is easy because it is a crack barrel. :iams:
Try the Jim shockeys gold (American Pioneer)... It cleans with just water and is super easy, less than five minutes I can have mine clean and thats after 6 or 7 shots...

#11 ·
I have never found any of the subs for black powder as easy to clean out as the real thing. I have not tried the super expensive Blackhorn though. Too much Scottish in my blood to pay the price they want locally. I have seen it advertized for much less, I think it was Labarons. I have been hunting with a muzzleloader for about 25 years and real black powder has got it done for most of that time. I used Pyrodex with good luck and used triple 7 one year, but hated the clean up so gave away the rest of the can.

#15 ·
The most Incredibly accurate muzzleloader I have had the pleasure of shooting is a Traditions E-bolt 209... I gave it to my brother for Christmas one year... Three shots usually one hole @ 100yds, 300gr SST over 2 50gr Pyrodex Pellets... Seen him finish a nice buck off a few years ago @ 300yds (it was necessary), and him having the confidence in the gun played a big role in being able to make that shot... I payed well under $200 for that E-bolt...

#16 ·
Patty said:
The most Incredibly accurate muzzleloader I have had the pleasure of shooting is a Traditions E-bolt 209... I gave it to my brother for Christmas one year... Three shots usually one hole @ 100yds, 300gr SST over 2 50gr Pyrodex Pellets... Seen him finish a nice buck off a few years ago @ 300yds (it was necessary), and him having the confidence in the gun played a big role in being able to make that shot... I payed well under $200 for that E-bolt...
I agree, i have an E-bolt and it is an accurate gun. My gun likes Hornady SST 250 gr. over 2 50 gr. pyrodex pellets. Took a small buck at 235 yards a few years ago. Also agree with practice and gaining confidence in the gun to make longer shots.

#18 ·
I bought a TC Impact last year, shot a doe with it last year at 96yds with open sights, I had to shim the front sight up because the back couldn't go lower. The trigger I still don't like, I like light tiggers I guess.

Cleaning I find hard, I do the best I can and a week latter there's rust, I watched a video by TC on how to clean it on YouTube, didnt help. I preferred the old way where you remove the barrel and stick it in a pail of hot soapy water then pump water though it with a wool mop, the new way pushing patches just doesn't seem to get it as clean, and I liked how the barrel would get hot, dryed the gun that way.

#22 ·
Cleaning I find hard, I do the best I can and a week latter there's rust,
The trigger I still don't like, I like light tiggers I guess.
That's strange i have the same gun and love it. I find it easy to clean and no rust but i oil the crap out of the barrel when i store it then just run the rod through to take most of it away before i use it. Mine also has a really light trigger. Maybe take it to a gun smith could just need a tweak. I will have a look what brand of cleaners i use and let you know can't remember the brand right now. The oil i use is hopps #7 i got from can tire, works great on all my guns.

#24 ·
I used pirodex last year, this year I'm trying 777, I just bought a new wool mop and wire brush. I first try to clean with hot soapy water then use the cleaner that came with the gun, then put a big glob of bore butter down the barrel.
Trigger might have to see a gun smith, probably some polishing would do it. I
I don't hate the gun, just has issues that need work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.