Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing piles of reading... but I'm still confused.... lol.

A little birdy told me I might end up with a muzzleloader for xmas! (possibly even the CVA Accura, fingers crossed!) So I need to buy a scope for it before next season.

There are some specific muzzleloader scopes but the research I've been doing lists all kinds of scopes.

I know the muzzleloader scopes have the ability to change it up with the different loads you use.

What are the pros and cons to using a mid-range rifle scope to a true muzzleloader scope?

Do some scopes not hold the zero due to the bigger concussion from the muzzleloader?

What criteria should I consider if I just decide to put a rifle scope on?

There was a nice sale on a Nikon Prostaff scope that I was already tempted to pull the trigger on.
My main rifle and my girl's rifle both have the Prostaffs (mine is the 7, theirs is the 5). So I will be comfortable using the Prostaff scope.

Thx.
Brian.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
I have never had an issue putting a quality high power scope on a ML. If you want a bullet drop reticle that can be another issue. Bushnell has a DOA 250. It came on a CVA Mountain Rifle. It has sufficed for me. I have never used the reticle due to reasonable range shots. I had a Swarovski that had a muzzleloader reticle too so there are a wide range of quality options out there.
Be aware that with today's rifles you could be shooting 100-150 grains equivalent and that is obviously going to impact the operation of the reticle. There is no substitute for choosing an accurate load and shooting at the distances you expect to shoot at so you know either holdover or reticle use.
The other thing to consider is how busy a reticle is. In bush it can be hard to quickly see the different bars or dots and likely the distance will only need the crosshairs. Check out the difference between a DOA 250 and a DOA 600 to get an idea of this. My overall preference would be a German #4 reticle with an illuminated dot at the crosshairs. The three bold parts of the reticle make it very quick to get on target in bush and the lit dot really helps that, as well as at the shoulders of the day when things dim up. This would work in open country too but with extended ranges expected, a DOA type reticle could be useful if you are proficient with it. And that includes knowing the range.
By the way, the CVA's are nice ML's. Lots of nice features, reasonable weight and accurate. So far I have continued the use of Blackhorn in mine and there is a breechplug you can get just for that powder.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’ve been happy with my bushnell DOA 250. I have it mounted on a t/c omega z5. Killed many deer with it although I’ve never shot it further than 125 yds. And it’s held zero for the 10 years Or so I’ve owned it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a Leupold 3-9X on my muzzleloader that does everything I've asked it to do so far the last 2 years. That excludes killing a deer, but that's just because I haven't pulled the trigger during the muzzy season. :) It's basically the same scope I have on my .270 win. No fancy recticle, just a good honest optic.

On my shotgun I have an older 3 - 9X Nikon muzzleloader scope with the hold over points. That puppy I have dialed in very well. The holdover points don't match what the scope is "calibrated" for, but I have it all worked out on paper for ranges from 50 to 350 yards (true story). I have a card taped to the stock that I can use in conjunction with a range finder to make shots well beyond what a slug shotgun is intended for. To get everything that dialed in took years and several hundred dollars of high quality slugs. On Nikon's website it claims to allow you to plug in your data and figure out your holdovers at different ranges. It works okay if you have your actual muzzle velocity (you need a chronograph for that). It's just okay though, varied up to 3 inches for me with real world testing.

If you're willing to put the work into making a scope with holdover points work for you I say go for it. If not, a standard recticle will do everything you need it to. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a bushnell 3500 on mine and like it, but have thought the red dot I have on my 22 mag would be fun if I was walking the bush like I used to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts