Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what others do with their loaded ML when done hunting for the day. Can you leave it loaded (no primer of course) or do you empty it completely?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Re: MuzzleLoader - Do you leave it loaded between hunting da

Mine stays loaded.

last year, I loaded it on the first day out, and didn't get an animal till the evening shoot on the last day. worked flawlessly

·
Registered
16 Posts

I always unload. Coming in from cold to warm you can get condensation through the ignition port. Might not be enough to keep it from firing but might change the point of impact. Might work perfectly. Don't care much for "might". If you have a modern muzzleloader you can save on the cleaning part by pulling the breech plug and unload that way. Just run a patch through after. I have a buddy that doesn't unload his gun and has never had a problem with ignition but his kills have been close range. You decide.

·
Registered
653 Posts

I unloaded mine last year, have left them loaded before but two reasons to unload are, condensation from going from the cold outside into my basement. And most cases of double loading happen when you put it away loaded then load it again the next time out.

Those were my reasons

·
Registered
530 Posts

another reason to unload imo is if you have a house fire when it goes off dry wall and studs aint stopping a 50cal slug. I know the chances are remote but why take any chance.

·
Registered
328 Posts

I unload mine because of this.

A muzzleloader, with a charge in the barrel, may be transported
between hunting sites only if the firing cap is removed or, in the
case of a flintlock, the flint is removed.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts

Bingo! That changed a while back so it is necessary to fire or unload before you head home. That can be fun unloading in the dark with a ML that you need a breech plug wrench for. It's either that or fire it off safely and have the cleaning when you get home.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

I unload mine as well... I shoot it off... I have a target in the back that I can see even when its dark out... It helps me know that I didn't unknowingly bump my scope during my day and that everything is good to go!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts

It is illegal to discharge a firearm after dark!

I shoot a traditional, with cap and ball. They are a pain in the ass to pull.

I typically hunt somewhere for part of everyday during season; so technically, I am always transporting between hunting locations, even if that means that I finish in one field one evening, and hunt at home the next morning

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

Sniper-T said:
It is illegal to discharge a firearm after dark!

I shoot a traditional, with cap and ball. They are a pain in the ass to pull.

I typically hunt somewhere for part of everyday during season; so technically, I am always transporting between hunting locations, even if that means that I finish in one field one evening, and hunt at home the next morning
I know but its also illegal to take it home loaded too... Between hunting sites only... Leaving it loaded overnight is not between hunting sites... IMO

·
Registered
665 Posts

So,

If I'm in hunting camp, I get back to my tent, and I plan on going out again the next morning... that is not ok?

If I hunt one field in the morning, and then drive 6 hours to hunt another one... that is not ok?

If I hunt one field in the evening, and travel all night to get to my next field the next morning... that is not ok?

If I am heading home Sunday night after a weekend away, but am planning on hunting on my property Monday morning... that is not ok?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

I don't know how MB Conservation would view it but... My understanding of the law is that "between hunting sites only" doesn't include going home for the night... I leave mine loaded all day when I'm hunting, until I'm done for the day... I DO NOT bring my muzzleloader into my house loaded... I don't see any advantage to it other than not spending five minutes cleaning it... Maybe Andre will clear things up a bit...

·
Registered
665 Posts

A muzzle loader isn't 'loaded' unless there is a primer on it.

The only real advantage I know is that you are not shooting after dark

as per the Bible:

Hunting or the discharge of a firearm is prohibited from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour befors sunrise

with season being two weeks long this year, unloading it each time would be 14 balls, 14 wads, 14 x powder load, 14 times primers, and 14 times cleaning supplies and time. That's a whole afternoons worth of shooting at the range.
lol

·
Registered
328 Posts

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this regulation.

OK to drive all day from one hunting site to another with a charge in the barrel. But you can't drive home, at the end of the day with the charge in the barrel.

May be we could get a ruling from the Supreme Court of Canada!

·
Registered
91 Posts

If the weather is good I will leave it loaded, if it is wet it will get cleaned at the end of the day. I have had a muzzleloader loaded for 2 weeks and had it go off perfectly. As far as the letter of the law I don't know, but I haven't seen a warden during muzzleloading season for several years now. In fact over the past 6 years I have been checked only once and that was during rifle season. I wish they would patrole our area more, it might stop some of the road hunters.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Ive always thought as long as the cap is out your fine. And have always done that. A guy i know left a charge in for over a year and got one the following year...i wouldnt recommend doing that though! :oops:

·
Registered
239 Posts

Depends on the weather, it is wet out, il shoot it off, I dont want a miss fire when the time comes, other then that I leave it loaded till I fire it at a deer, or the season if over.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Walli said:
I unload mine because of this.

A muzzleloader, with a charge in the barrel, may be transported
between hunting sites only if the firing cap is removed or, in the
case of a flintlock, the flint is removed.
Sorry guys, no period or comma between the "only" and "if", you don't get the full context of the sentence if you don't read it all. Actually it's not MB conservation who's rule it would be, it would be federal firearms act law, but seeing that it is so well written you probably would have to go to a legal definition of loaded if there isn't a primer.

Interesting topic

·
Registered
303 Posts

Unload by shooting it out. Kinda of a PITA to clean for one shot but that's muzzleloading I guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts