Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a mule deer doe up close south of Morden a couple of weeks ago. To my knowledge it’s the first mule deer I’ve seen in Manitoba. I’m curious how often others see mulies in Manitoba, in what areas, and whether people think mule deer numbers are increasing, stable (ie very low) or decreasing.

It would be great to see these deer come back, although I suspect we’ve converted too much grassland into ag for it to happen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’m often surprised where they show up, I’ve heard of a few sightings in SE Manitoba (I admittedly always hold some scepticism).

I also hope that they make a comeback, but I doubt they could overcome poaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had the good fortune of working all over southern Manitoba the last 14yrs and have mustered only a few sightings in that time mostly in the western pembina valley and along the Souris river. A couple in the Peirson/Melita area as well.

I’m often surprised where they show up, I’ve heard of a few sightings in SE Manitoba (I admittedly always hold some scepticism).
Much like Sledin I had heard a couple reports of them in the south east but usually I had just rolled my eyes and played along. Then one day while out walking my dog in St. Malo this doe showed herself. She hung around for a couple years and even had a fawn one spring.

These photos are a few years old now but I atleast dont roll my eyes anymore when I hear those occasional reports Sledin.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She hung around for a couple years and even had a fawn one spring.
Could you by any chance tell if the fawn was a whitetail hybrid?

The one I saw a couple weeks ago stotted across the road right in front of my vehicle and stood in the ditch displaying her white rump, rope tail and giant ears. It was pretty neat.

Here is an interesting article I came across today on mulie/whitetail hybrids. One thing it mentions is that hybrids can’t stott: https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...ion-a-unique-tail-of-whitetails-and-mule-deer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw a herd of between 20 and 30 in the Melita area about 7 years ago. The buck in the herd had a beautiful rack. Hopefully that herd has stayed in the area and grows.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could you by any chance tell if the fawn was a whitetail hybrid?
Unfortunately no, I only saw the doe and fawn together 2 times I believe. Once when the fawn was still very small but in some brush and I was in a vehicle and didn't spook them into retreat to be able to determine gait, I could see the white rump on the doe as she was in the classic starring at me over her shoulder stance but didn't get as good a look at the fawn.

The second time was with binos later in the year after the season and they were together feeding at about 500yds and I couldn't tell any distinct physical features of the fawn but again could see the white rump one the doe and the sun left before I could see them stotting/running off.

One big assumption I'm making is that it was the same doe. According to the dates on my photos I first saw the doe Apr 2013 and last sighting mentioned would have been ~Dec 2014 but all three sightings were within 2 miles and the realitive size difference seemed to fit her growth filling out to a mature sized doe compared to the pics when I first saw her.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Souris River Valley

Lots in an area of the Souris river valley not far from Souris. Does, couple small bucks and hybrids over the last 6 years or so. Numbers only seem to be increasing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Does conservation do much mule deer tracking?
I’d be curious about the numbers.
Also how many are “accidentally poached” each year....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a friend post a pic a few years back of a small buck along the river in Winnipeg. Just off Scotia Street

·
Registered
370 Posts
mule deer

There has been a bunch of four or five does north of Oakburn for a number of years. They range east and west but seem to hang out in a in a 10 mile radius. I have never seen or heard of any bucks. Their numbers do not seem to increase and have not heard of any hybreads. There was a hell of a fine muley buck west of St Lazare the year before they were protected hear in Manitoba.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are a ton of mule deer south west of melita that I have seen in the past few years. A few friends have had trail cam photos of mule deer around the brandon area and one as far east as just north of Austin

·
Registered
67 Posts
I saw three does NE of Swan River in the Lenswood area last fall and two just across the Sask border in the Arran area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw a mule deer doe up close south of Morden a couple of weeks ago. To my knowledge it’s the first mule deer I’ve seen in Manitoba. I’m curious how often others see mulies in Manitoba, in what areas, and whether people think mule deer numbers are increasing, stable (ie very low) or decreasing.

It would be great to see these deer come back, although I suspect we’ve converted too much grassland into ag for it to happen.
I have seen 4 mule deer in Manitoba in my time here. They do seem to be rare, but may be growing in numbers. This is now my second sighting in my area in 2 years. Just saw my first antlered one here this morning. About 2 miles east of the Brandon Hills.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've seen one on the North end of Oak Hammock and one on the south side of the Porcupines. Most are living on the West side of the province close to Saskatchewan.
That province has lots of mulies and lots of Chronic Wasting Disease. I see the interprovincial foot traffic of Mule Deer as a threat of disease import into Manitoba. I do not think they should be protected and should be legal in the deer season here. We will never see a viable and healthy population of Mule Deer in Manitoba and the threat they pose outweighs this dream.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts