Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one get more trail details using google earth.
I have been able to see some trails but the resolutions are not showing all the trials.
Might be that the image is old or I don't have the proper settings in there.

tips?
Steve

·
Registered
460 Posts
What you see is what you get. Some areas are clearer than others but they constantly update better and newer images. I've noticed some areas I hunt have gotten better recently.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Change the display setting of your computer so that they are as high as they go. U can also try different mapping systems. Microsoft (bing) uses different maps and so does the new apple software which is based off Tom-Tom I think.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say change the display should I be moving towards larger numbers or smaller?
I'll try the other systems too,
thanks
Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Use a "Backcountry Mapbook"

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/in ... Path=67_73

I've gone through about 4 of these... all being the Manitoba edition! The same few pages always wear out. The new ones have great detail of trails, and are sold at quite a few larger gas stations around Manitoba. Use in conjunction with Google Earth... and you'll drive yourself crazy at all the new places you'll want to check out.

Costs about $30 with tax, but is totally worth every penny.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds great, I find one and check it out, thanks for the recommendation
How do you suppose they get that much more detail?

Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
More detail on what you're looking for. Sometimes google earth doesn't have enough info on backcountry trails... Pick one up and you'll see what I mean right away.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The backcountry mapbook is a blend of highway maps and published trails. It's not topgraphical but I use it a lot.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Chixfishing said:
The backcountry mapbook is a blend of highway maps and published trails. It's not topgraphical but I use it a lot.
It is great and I recommend buying the chip for your GPS - it's about $100.

·
Registered
653 Posts
kayak870 said:
More detail on what you're looking for. Sometimes google earth doesn't have enough info on backcountry trails... Pick one up and you'll see what I mean right away.
I do find though that it shows some old logging roads that would even be impassable for an atv. That's a lot of detail. I also have seen snowmobile trails in the wrong spot, no a big deal, but there is so much detail that it's hard to be up to date.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts