Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most guys theses days not sure where to try for moose…just checking to see if anyone has tried or heard much about area 20 or 21? Not asking for for your honeyhole :D just some general info.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This year in 21A there was more moose taken than in previous years, likely because it was so dry during the summer making access possible in places where you normally couldn't go.

Overall success in GHA 21 is quite poor. so much so I would probably not waste my time. Getting into the areas that still have moose would require a fair bit of effort and good equipment.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't even know why there is still a moose season in area 21. I wouldn't waste my time trying to find moose there. I haven't spent much time, and don't know anybody that moose hunts GHA 20, but if I had to choose between 20 and 21 it would be 20 I'd be applying for tags in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, not to sure what I will do for next year :? I had always hunted the Porcupines, 20 years worth of trips into the hills. I could see the decline in the moose numbers particularly in the last 5 years, the closer was needed. Maybe I will try a fly in for next year...they are always fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is some moose in Area 20 but you have to put alot of effort in to go and find them. There is alot of traffic along the gravel road from Hwy 6 heading to Waterhen. The problem with getting back into 20 in some spots are the beaver and the flooding they have caused in the back country.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
waterhen81 said:
There is some moose in Area 20 but you have to put alot of effort in to go and find them. There is alot of traffic along the gravel road from Hwy 6 heading to Waterhen. The problem with getting back into 20 in some spots are the beaver and the flooding they have caused in the back country.
I don't mind hard to reach areas...argo's are great for getting a little further then most can go. Having said that it's nice for there to be moose in the area after the hard work of getting past all the other hunters. From the looks of your profile picture you have that all figured out ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
There used to be I believe, an area close to Waterhen that was not open to Manitoba residents for moose. It was a non resident only area, I have not gone through the book to analize if it still stands. Any idea. Just curious.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Northland said:
I thought area 21 was close for moose hunting. I'm an outfitter there and maybe have seen 1 or 2 moose tracks a year

It's a draw system.

I entered last year as my third option on a priority level of 5 and got a tag - so it's super easy to get one. After checking the area out - I didn't even bother going hunting and donated my money to the province.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts