Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my thing, every where you look in hunting magazines, every so often you find tips on moose hunting. There are so many experts. But in the all years of reading these articles, NOT ONE TIME have I found anyting on the late season. I am talking december, when there is snow, cold and the rut is long time gone. Plus in an area like 26 where animal numbers are low and access is difficult. What do you think. I am not going this year, but maybe next (somewhere else).

·
Registered
146 Posts
For late season you wanna find areas where there is lots of feed for the moose, ie. red willows. Also if there is snow you can try and track them, if the tracks are fresh. But be careful while tracking, moose will often circle back around and bed to watch thier back trail and see you way before you see them...move slowly and stop and look often.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Very, very slowly. couple three small steps, stop, scan ahead and beside with binos. Repeat.

If you happen to be in a place where you can travel by snowmobile, have one person sled up two or three miles. The other person should walk that sled trail. In moose country, experience has shown me many times, that the *^(^&* walked on the trail within 1/2 hour of a sled(s) passing through. :evil:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes one of the big problems in 26 was knowing where the designated trails were. People used to tear the signs down to keep them secret. Then if you knew where one was, travel was next to impossible because of blow downs, dead falls and swamps not frozen. Now with fur prices low and beaver dams everywhere it is worse. The last season I talked to some people who spent about a week on one trail, they said they had never even seen tracks. These guys were equiped with snowmobiles and quads on tracks, still no luck. I used to go out say once every 5 to 7 or more years, being hard to get time off. Plus I usually go out myself so it is hard. Lots of places to walk which is good but most places someone has already walked in a mile or two further than I have. Plus many times I plan to walk a trail in the morning only to find snowmobile tracks on a non designated route trail. Success is based on so many things that success is sparce. Sometimes a little or a lot of luck is what is needed. Two years ago I hunted as hard as anyone in that area and the best I did was spook a cow and calf out of their beds and watch them run across the swamp. Almost scared me to death. I can go on and on and may again but the strange thing is that I still LOVE MOOSE hunting. Maybe some day we will be blessed with a good population and season. But reality gives me a different ending to this story. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
611 Posts
André said:
Very, very slowly. couple three small steps, stop, scan ahead and beside with binos. Repeat.

If you happen to be in a place where you can travel by snowmobile, have one person sled up two or three miles. The other person should walk that sled trail. In moose country, experience has shown me many times, that the *^(^&* walked on the trail within 1/2 hour of a sled(s) passing through. :evil:
Andre, are you the same person that a few weeks back that told me to not open trails? But at the same time you add tips for moose hunting via trails?
Just asking.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Opening up trails that have been closed by mother nature and traveling open trails are two different things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts