Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friends convinced me that next year I'm going for a moose... Going to need to buy a moose gun!!! I have a few criteria that it has to meet though!!! I want an out of the box Sub-MOA rifle... If its a bolt its gotta be a detachable mag, but I would use a single shot ;) ... I'm not sure of the caliber yet, probably .30-06 or maybe a .338wm... So throw your suggestions out there!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The 338 winchester is a true moose killer case closed. I have it in a Browning A Bolt with BOSS. Heavy gun though. If your going to be doing lots of walking something lighter is nice to have along as a second gun in say 270 308 or 30 06.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I picked up a Browning X-bolt synthertic stock a couple years back and it is sweet. I love to shoot it and would buy another in a heart beat. My buddy bought a Remington model 700 with walnut stock, same cal., and I feel mine shoots much nicer. it has removable mag that is abs, good and strong and goes into the gun smoothly and quietly. Ideally, if you can get a couple of guys with different gun so you can shoot them to see how the fit you, that is key I think.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a sako A7 300 wsm last year for moose. Was fortunate enuf to actually bag a moose as well. Love the action on it, smooth smooth. Nice and lite for carrying. But that said it has a good kick cause of liteness but the limb saver recoil pad takes care of that. Good luck with your shopping...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NoShow said:
I bought a sako A7 300 wsm last year for moose. Was fortunate enuf to actually bag a moose as well. Love the action on it, smooth smooth. Nice and lite for carrying. But that said it has a good kick cause of liteness but the limb saver recoil pad takes care of that. Good luck with your shopping...
How does it shoot Noshow???

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a sako classic in 270 winchester and it's taken a few moose. If i was shopping for a new rifle, sako a7 in 3006 would be my choice. Buddy has that rifle and it's a beauty.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Shoots nice in my opinion. Feels really comfortable for me. This was my first bolt action I've ever owned. Before I bought it I must of held and cycled 12 diff types gun and came back to the sako.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use a browning .308 for moose. Have used it for years back home in Newfoundland for moose, with lots of success.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Shot my moose this year with my .303brit, works fine. I'm not saying to buy one, just don't think that you NEED a magnum to drop a moose, and I agree on not getting a wood stock for a moose gun, but if I were to buy a new moose gun the synthetic stock would just be put on for hunting

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking I wouldn't be buying a wood stocked gun anyway... But I don't want something that pounds my shoulder!!! I'm thinking it will prob be a .30-06... Does anybody here shoot a TC Pro Hunter??? was wondering what the accuracy is like???

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
308 or 3006 - fyi there is a sweet TCicon on sale at WSS for $750, which is a good price. Also check CGN, lotsa good deals on scoped 308's this week.
Moose are not hard to kill, and most are shot at very close range.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took about 350 yd. shot at a moose across a slough years back. Seemed like a good hit. Waited an hour circled slough and found where bull was standing. Found some blood and followed it maybe 50 yds to where he was laying down very much alive. A quick neck shot and he was down! Unlike deer or elk, moose tend to lay down when hit [LUCKY FOR ME] . Upon skinning out that bull I found my .270 bullet lodged up against a large shoulder bone just below the hide! The next year I bought a .300 win mag and been happy ever since. I believe you should have a .300 mag,7mm mag,.338 mag etc. [JMO] :moose:

·
Registered
339 Posts
A moose can be killed with a 22 to the side of the head. But as a hunter, that has the option to by a ''MOOSE'' gun I would not be interested in ''CANS'', I am interested in ''WILLS''. There is too much time, energy, and money spent on these hunts to rely on maybe's. Plus the chance of wounding an animal on not a great placed shot, plus the value of all that great meat lost to the scavengers. To each his own though. And yes I know you can not hunt (legally) hunt with a 22.

·
Registered
101 Posts
POKEE said:
I took about 350 yd. shot at a moose across a slough years back. Seemed like a good hit. Waited an hour circled slough and found where bull was standing. Found some blood and followed it maybe 50 yds to where he was laying down very much alive. A quick neck shot and he was down! Unlike deer or elk, moose tend to lay down when hit [LUCKY FOR ME] . Upon skinning out that bull I found my .270 bullet lodged up against a large shoulder bone just below the hide! The next year I bought a .300 win mag and been happy ever since. I believe you should have a .300 mag,7mm mag,.338 mag etc. [JMO] :moose:
I feel the same as you on the bigger cal. Especially if have to shoot a great distance. Last year my only shot I had at my moose was 290 yards, no way I could get closer for a shot. Sure glad I had the 300 wsm. Has a lot more hitting power at that yardage then my 270. in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
NoShow said:
POKEE said:
I feel the same as you on the bigger cal. Especially if have to shoot a great distance. Last year my only shot I had at my moose was 290 yards, no way I could get closer for a shot. Sure glad I had the 300 wsm. Has a lot more hitting power at that yardage then my 270. in my opinion.
In addition, it will create a larger hole or two, and also have a larger wound channel so a better blood trail is likely to be created if it doesn't drop on the spot.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I almost pulled the trigger on a Weatherby Vangard .30-06 today at wholesale.... Damn top feeders!!! I'm a clip guy... But had my hands on a heavy barreled Tikka that I kinda fell in love with, only problem is it doesn't come in the calibers that I would be interested in... I'm really leaning towards the .30-06, that way if I want to use it for deer I will be overgunned but not to the extent of the magnums... More shopping to do yet!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah that heavy barreled tikka is a sweet gun. I can't disagree with your thoughts on having a gun that can be used for both. 30-06 is sure nice caliber with all the different grains bullets they available. Shoppin is fun but also can be frustrating. Haha.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Patty said:
I almost pulled the trigger on a Weatherby Vangard .30-06 today at wholesale.... Damn top feeders!!! I'm a clip guy... But had my hands on a heavy barreled Tikka that I kinda fell in love with, only problem is it doesn't come in the calibers that I would be interested in... I'm really leaning towards the .30-06, that way if I want to use it for deer I will be overgunned but not to the extent of the magnums... More shopping to do yet!!!
and I'm the total opposite.....love my Remington 700 Mountain top load (which weighs in at 6 3/8 lb) with drop plate. never forget the dam clip at home, never drop the dam clip in the water, never drop the dam clip in the snow, never drop the dam clip in the bottom of the canoe.....have you seen my clip??? to each their own but for me just one less thing to worry about

mine is chambered for the 30-06, I had it magna ported years ago and wouldn't trade it for anything, I've taken moose with it no problem shooting a 165 grain projectile, topped with Leupold scope makes it an effective machine......28 years old and still shoots the same as day one.....don't be afraid to buy an '06, they can and will take down any north american big game animal

·
Registered
653 Posts
Lol, forgot my magazine this year. Lol didn't think I'd miss it this year either, maybe it's my good luck thing, like dropping an arrow from my stand

1 - 20 of 53 Posts