Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MHF Hunting Story Contest

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Riggs 
#1 ·
Starting today, MHF is having a contest for the best hunting story posted here between now, and August 31, 2012 The prize will be a wonderful book entitled The Best Of Sheep Hunting, compiled by John Batten, prefaced by Jim Rikhoff, from the Amwell Press. This book was authorized by, and for the benefit of the Foundation For North American Wild Sheep. This beautiful book is hard cover and slip cased, and has 584 pages. It has many, many stories by the world's most famous sheep hunters including Jack O'Connor, Elgin Gates, Theodore Roosevelt, William Hornady, and others.

Winner to be determined by the moderators and administrators by vote. The contest will run through August 31 of this year. Moderators and Administrators are not eligible to win.

#5 ·
At risk of sounding like a girl......
My first time waterfowling at the marsh and my friends and I were all lined up at the water's edge, concealed in the bushes and ready to start. We were spread out and each had our assigned shooting "lanes". I was at the far end so anything coming in from the right was my bird. I spotted some approaching ducks at my end and started to lift my gun. My boyfriend was beside me, about 15' away and spotted the ducks about the same time I did and yelled "DUCK!" I thought he wanted to shoot so I quickly ducked down to avoid getting my head blown off. He shot the duck.
I got up, a little miffed he shot my bird in my shooting lane. He aksed, "Why didn't you shoot?" It turns out, "duck" means, "there is a bird coming, shoot it".

#6 ·
I once had a hunting partner..... he was a family member. I enjoyed camp with him and we had fun. Great times with family right. Well after several times filling his tag party hunting and having to deal with his issues in the field I started to serious think about things.

When we left camp he would drop me off and I would hunt in my stand until I walked back to camp.... never really thought about when I killed and was heading back towards the road..... he was always there in short order.... just driving by. Took me years to figure it out. But when I did it wans't long before I talked to him about it. I asked him why it always seemed that he was driving by after my kills in the bush. He replied that he gets cold and goes for a drive..... ie: he's a rd hunter and I didn't really know it. Thatw as the end of that. I got new hunting friends that had the same thoughts on hunting as me.

Quads are strictly for game recovery not for fun. Tree stands are for sitting not for just hanging.

I still talk to this guy at family do's but he knows not to push my buttons when it comes to hunting. A couple of years ago I congradulated him on killing a decent buck.... he didn't talk to me for months. I guess the guilt got to him on killing an animal unethically.

thats my story

#7 ·
Last year my buddy told me we can go to a spot were he had permission to hunt it was around the wole quarter all 4 sections we took the camper in so we could stay for a few days we got there late first day he went one way I went the other found a nice buck with some does but didn't get that kill shot tracked him til dark walked back to camp. Told my buddy that nite we same up with a plan to get this nice buck .up early next day walked out to the spot my buddy and me sun up and there was my buck 75 yards away I signaled my buddy then out of the blue he got up and started to run towards my trophy buck I was tryin not to yell at him but my buck looked and was gone after seeing some idiot running at him . I watched my buck leave probably laughing at the guy who was running at him . I yelled to the now old buddy stuff you should't post I walked back to camp called another buddy to pick me up and I have not spoke to that running hunting buddy since so yeah that's the one story of mine that just makes me shake my head with shame

#8 ·
I was at a friends place talking to him about hunting geese on the field next to his place. He assured me that I could. While standing there a bunch of geese flew over he yelled get your gun. I did. He said shoot shoot, I did not want to be so close to his house. But eventually took carefull aim and shot, a goose came straight down stone dead breaking off a branch on one of his trees. I felt awkward. He said wow ''GREAT SHOT'' and I said "" yes but I was aiming at the first one''.

#9 ·
I have deer hunted with this one friend for over 20 years. One opening day he says to me ''if you get a chance shoot me one''. We sign each others licence etc. I am sitting on the edge of a field on a cloudy, half foggy morning say 5 minutes into legal shooting time. I see a nice little buck 100 yds. out, he sees me and runs, I put the cross hairs on his nose. I pull the trigger my 25 06 barks and the deer does a barrel role at full speed. I hit him a few inches below the ear. I compose myself look in all directions and walk out closer to either cut this deer or shoot it again. As I am walking closer to the deer I see a second deer that is far bigger to the south say 250 yards away. The first deer meanwhile dies and I am now sitting on it. The second deer hearing a bawl from the first comes running, wondering who would dare be in my area. I wait till the second is 75 yds. away and shoot. My friend hunting close by hears two shots and comes to investigate. He sees me and two dead deer 50 yds. apart. All he could do was shake his head.

#10 ·
I have deer hunted with this one friend for over 20 years. On a very cold opening morning my friend dropped me off on an old mud road and told me to sit there, as the bush half to three quarters of a mile away was being pushed. Eventually about 8 deer came flying across the field. Watching deer run towards you for say half mile or better puts the shakes really bad into you. Well just as well all does and fawns came my way. We do not shoot does or fawns especially early, maybe later in the season. Anyway the last little deer being a fawn was way behind the others and must have surely wanted the others to ""wait for me"". So this last little deer stops on the mud road and sees me. It stomps it foot so what the heck I stomp my foot, the deer stomps so I stomp, this goes on several times. Convinced the fawn comes running towards me with that left to right head shaking thing as if to say ''high mom''. Meanwhile my friend is coming down the road to pick me up. At the angle my friend is backing up he can not see past me. By now the fawn is continuing towards me maybe 25 yds away and the truck 50 yds away. Laughing I take a few steps backward my friend sees the deer and the deer sees the truck. My friend laughing says, ''Now you have deer running towards you."

#11 ·
Better Late than never!!!

Took a friend hunting one time and this dandy 5X5 comes out into the clearing we are watch and stands perfectly broadside to us under a big oak tree... I tell him to let him have it, he shoots and a branch about ten feet above the deer takes the 12ga slug breaks and nearly whacks the buck on the head on the way down... I laughed and laughed and laughed, I still bug him about it....

#12 ·
Members: I've been away on a holiday for the past week, and didn't have my computer with me (it was a real holiday). I've just returned within the past hour, so give me a couple of days, and the winner's name will be posted, and contacted by PM so I can get shipping details. Thanks for your patience.

Riggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.