Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I read that same article and am very curious by the part where it says they have certain areas where they can only hunt. I work with a metis harvester and told him of this, he swears and declares that as a metis hunter he can hunt anywhere in manitoba.
I told him about a talk i had with a CO about the harvester rights etc, and that CO told me there is a boundary to the east of the province where they cannot hunt with that card.
He doesn't believe it, (the old guy is 67 and stuck in his ways) because he quoted some guy from brandon (ken la forte) which is in charge of the harvester rights apparently? says, he can hunt anywhere in the province.
the guy I work with goes on to say that most CO's dont respect these new rules.
I don't believe he is right and suggested he find out more info before hunting anywhere.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think alot of older guys that have gotten a harvester card will abuse it in every way possible and wont listen to anyone trying to tell them otherwise. I have a grandpa who is now unable to hunt or fish but if he could he would be shooting everything he could! Its just not right in my eyes!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Boundary is in effect and the guy I know with the card decided to double check his intended hint area with the local Mb Conservation branch and was told he was a few miles past the boundary and that getting caught there with harvested game meant big trouble like a fine, the gun and truck get seized...etc. He'll be doing it right according to the legal area on the maps.

·
Registered
328 Posts
September 29, 2012

PROVINCE PARTNERS WITH MANITOBA METIS FEDERATION TO UPHOLD MéTIS HARVESTING RIGHTS, NATURAL RESOURCE CONSERVATION

Based on rulings by the Supreme Court of Canada involving aboriginal rights for Métis people, the government of Manitoba is partnering with the Manitoba Metis Federation (MMF) to recognize Métis rights to harvest natural resources for food and domestic use in Manitoba, and to acknowledge the Métis peoples’ commitment to conserve and respect the resources that sustain those rights, Premier Greg Selinger and David Chartrand, president of the Manitoba Metis Federation, announced today.

“In addition to recent jurisprudence, history makes it clear that Métis people have aboriginal harvesting rights in certain regions of Manitoba,” said Selinger. “Through co-operation with the MMF, we have been able to attain a balance of recognizing those rights while ensuring an orderly approach to conservation and enforcement. I commend the MMF on their commitment to meet the traditional responsibility to protect the wildlife, fish and other resources we all depend on.”

The agreement, signed today at the MMF’s 44th Annual General Assembly, provides for the recognition of Métis harvesting rights in mutually agreed to regions of the province, and relies on the MMF’s Metis Laws of the Hunt as the basis for the development of new provincial regulations to govern Métis harvesting. As well, MMF Harvester Cards will be recognized as a means to identify Métis harvesters.

The agreement also commits to collaborative processes for examining Métis harvesting right claims in regions of the province outside of the designated Métis Natural Resource Harvesting Zone and for establishing a working group to monitor and address issues relating to Métis rights-based natural resource harvesting.

“Based on many years of discussion and decisions from the courts, I am very proud to jointly announce this Métis Harvesting Agreement between the government of Manitoba and the Manitoba Métis,” said Chartrand. “Our Métis laws and the provincial laws will now work together to improve resource management and sustainability. I want to thank Conservation and Water Stewardship Minister Gord Mackintosh for his dedication to getting to this historic moment. With this agreement, the Selinger government is taking a leadership role within Canada on the recognition of the constitutional rights of the Métis people.”

“The conservation principles of the Métis Laws of the Hunt are similar to those for licensed hunters and anglers,” said Reid Woods, president, Manitoba Wildlife Federation. “I commend the MMF for this responsible approach, and encourage other provinces to look to Manitoba for an exceptional model of dedication to sustainable use of natural resources.”

As part of the recognition of Métis harvesting rights, Métis people will continue to be required to follow safety and conservation regulations. It is expected the regulations respecting Métis harvesting, based on today’s agreement, will be finalized later this fall.

- 30 -

The government of Manitoba is distributing this release on behalf of the Province of Manitoba and the Manitoba Metis Federation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recognized Areas for Metis Natural Resource Harvesting - http://www.gov.mb.ca/asset_library/en/n ... _Map_3.pdf

·
Registered
328 Posts
Read the last sentence no regulation finalized before an agreement was signed by the province.
Anything for political gain and
"Who the the Manitoba Wildlife Federation representing"?

·
2013 MHF Trail Cam contest Winner
207 Posts
I don't get it. Back in the day people of European ancestory came to this new land and also needed to live off the land and hunt when they needed to. Matter of fact the Europeans were here before there were any Metis people. Why not give those people with ancestry going back to the original settlers like the French and United Kingdom the same rights. Let's face it without them there would be no Metis, we could call it the( I was here before you harvester cards )

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
yes, my race was here 9 months before any Metis were around... I just wish it was fair and equal for ALL citizens of this country. Makes me feel like I am being discriminated against.

·
Registered
557 Posts
chrism said:
yes, my race was here 9 months before any Metis were around... I just wish it was fair and equal for ALL citizens of this country. Makes me feel like I am being discriminated against.
X2! Its just ridicuolous already. The past is the past. Today we are living in a society that preaches equality so everyone should have the same opportunities or restrictions regardless of race, gender or sex. I have to get drawn to go elk hunting with my bow, walk 20 miles a day because I can't use a quad, go through a lot of expense and physical pain while doing it and I see natives driving all over the place on quads and rifles without buying a license. How is that fair and equal? Ridiculous. They want equal rights then stop whining about how unjust the past and the present is, get educated, get jobs, pay taxes, and play by the rules the rest of society has to play by.......that's fair and equal.

·
Registered
328 Posts
clawj said:
chrism said:
X2! Its just ridicuolous already. The past is the past. Today we are living in a society that preaches equality so everyone should have the same opportunities or restrictions regardless of race, gender or sex. I have to get drawn to go elk hunting with my bow, walk 20 miles a day because I can't use a quad, go through a lot of expense and physical pain while doing it and I see natives driving all over the place on quads and rifles without buying a license. How is that fair and equal? Ridiculous. They want equal rights then stop whining about how unjust the past and the present is, get educated, get jobs, pay taxes, and play by the rules the rest of society has to play by.......that's fair and equal.
X3

What's with The Manitoba Wildlife Federation? Sure don't have my best interest in mind.

Looks like we have become a Distance 3rd.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is one way to speak volumes to the MWF and that is if you have a membership in thier organization, cancel it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is anyone looking ahead even as near as one generation...the population ain't shrinking and the métis claim rights is essentially growing at an exponential rate...kids...kids of kids.... Can't be sustainable for very long.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The next time you walk into Cabelas and the old fellow is selling MWF tickets tell him how you feel, by not buying a ticket. I will not buy another ticket, or go to any of their functions. I have been saying this for a long time, we are nothing more than a CASH COW. We pay others collect. I soon may as well get rid of all my hunting stuff.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dune said:
There is one way to speak volumes to the MWF and that is if you have a membership in thier organization, cancel it.
Yup after 34 years I am done with the MWF.

·
Registered
328 Posts
jondur said:
Is anyone looking ahead even as near as one generation...the population ain't shrinking and the métis claim rights is essentially growing at an exponential rate...kids...kids of kids.... Can't be sustainable for very long.
Don't forget the First Nations population!

·
Registered
19 Posts
There sure seems to be some folks here with the "Chicken Little" syndrome. Is the Sky really falling? "Lets boycot the MWF for supporting the Metis hunting rights", really? Are there anymore knee jerk reactions we can come up with? Does anyone really think that this will now be the beginning of the end of big game, waterfowl and upland bird hunting as we know it? Do you really believe that with the Metis Hunting rights agreement that now there will be a huge increase in Metis hunting? From some of the comments here it sure appears that some folks believe that "OH MY GOD" every Metis in the Province is going to grab a gun, head out into the woods and shoot everything that walks in front of them. I think that people should stop running around yelling "The Sky Is Falling", take a minute to think, not come up with knee jerk reactions and promote sterotypes. I once saw a guy that looked Icelandic, he was in a truck, and was driving around real slow on the edge of an alfalfa field. Does that make all Icelanders truck hunting poachers? There was this other guy, I think that he looked like he was Ukranian, I heard that he was using barbed hooks and had 3 more fish than he should. Does that make every Ukranian a fish poacher? If this was a different group that had received hunting rights, lets say that in the Interlake they have extended hunting rights to everyone of Icelandic heritage, Do you REALLY think that every Icelander in the Province is going to hit the woods in the Interlake and hunt it out of animals and birds?

I sure hope that some sober second thoughts, take out the racial sterotypes and folks can "Stay calm and carry on".

I wonder if there is a Manitoba Metis Hunting Forum on the internet, where there is complaining about "white guys hunting from trucks, quads.......ect"???

Cheers

Reactions: BuckB and POKEE

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think it goes deeper than just the hunting and fishing rights. Call is racism or whatever you want but most people are sick of certain segments of the populations continuing to abuse the system, not pay their fair share and cost the rest of society a small fortune. Then continue to come up with new land claims and monetary claims to no end. This day and age, despite the past, people should all be treated equal and play on a level playing field. Do you see black people and women continually over and over coming up with new lawsuits and claims? Society was what is was and because if that we are where we are today, stop crying about it and start doing something about it without handouts from government and the rest of the productive segment if society. Despite all the money and benefits who is the largest user of welfare? What group makes up the largest inmate population in Manitoba? The list goes on.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.