Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm toying with the idea of doing some mentored upland hunts for newer hunters with my dogs next year possibly.

Is there any interest in this? If there is, I may start a dialogue with the MWF as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would likely run these on WMAs to avoid the issues of "hot spotting".

Any suggestions, idea, or thoughts on how you'd like to see these work? Another potential option is to buy birds and plant them on private land we have access to, so that folks can get a taste of upland hunting with dogs and could be run at any time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my experience, mentoring new hunters on private land is much more relaxing to the hunter and the mentor.
You want to control as many of the variable as you can. WMA's have a lot of use - both by hunters and non-hunters. Some of the things that go on in WMA's and other public lands might turn off new hunters.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my experience, mentoring new hunters on private land is much more relaxing to the hunter and the mentor.
You want to control as many of the variable as you can. WMA's have a lot of use - both by hunters and non-hunters. Some of the things that go on in WMA's and other public lands might turn off new hunters.
The problem I have with private land based on previous experience, is that some hunters get frustrated with their own efforts to find places to hunt, then go to that private land behind your back and without permission, tell others, and then you get hot spotting.

I don't disagree with you, but I am also a bit cautious these days about showing others my private land access. It's very sad and disappointing that I feel this way because of a few bad apples that didn't respect other hunters and the land owners that allow them to hunt there.

This is where using private land with planted birds outside of season might be an alternative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts