Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I am in the planning stages of my first Canadian hunting trip slated for next fall. I cant even begin to explain how excited I am at the oppurtunity to come experience what I understand to be some of the best hunting the world has to offer. On that note, I also cant come up with the right words to describe how little I know about hunting in Canada. lol I am from just about as far south as you can get in the US, living on the Texas Gulf Coast.

I have a big ol' pile of questions about hunting Canada so I wanna go ahead and apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, beg for patience, and Thank you all for any information shared.

Through friends of friends I have been offered an oppurtunity to come hunt with a group of guys out Flin Flon. I have pulled up the hunting guide off the internet and looked at some of the projected opening dates for the 2013 seasons. In Texas, for most game we dont have split seasons, that said I am not 100% sure on how to plan my trip to have an oppurtunity for as much game as possible at any given time.

So my first question is this. Hypothetically speaking as if money was of no object (and it is, lol) If you could pick any 20 day period throughout the course of hunting season to spend 100% of that time in the woods what dates would you chose and why? I ask because out of my group each of us have a different species of gamein mind and if possible we would like to mix in a waterfowl hunt as well.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
665 Posts
Kinda tough questions since you do not specify what exactly you wish to hunt, but this is what I would do if I had your cash:
burn mine!

lol
Seriously, I'd plan my hunt for the last 2 weeks or September to the end of the first week of October.

Why? Because everything is open.
Moose, Bear, Caribou, Deer, wolf, coyote, geese, ducks, upland birds.

Given your finances, I would charter up North from FlinFlon, and smack some Caribou for 4-6 days, pop a moose near Flin Flon. Head South a ways for a deer for a couple days. Both Migratory and Upland are open and I'd mix some days (or 1/2 days) of that in. That is also some prime fall fishing, so I'd spend some time in the boat, with a shotty for ducks of course.
Bang-flop a bear and a couple of dogs to round out the trip and you'll need to buy a 20 foot refrigeration trailer to haul everything home. (Don't forget the cites permits)

Sounds like a fun trip!

take me with you!!!
:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You couldn't have answered it any better. Thats kinda when i was thinking about coming up. my original thoughts were the end of September but my only concern was when the seasons closed on. The information I found only showed the projected start dates.

Me personally I am after a moose, caribou, wolf, and some birds. I am not sure what all the other guys have planned but I think each of us have a couple critters in mind. As far as the money goes I am going to Colorado in about 2 weeks for 10 days and as soon as i get back i am going to start stashing some money back. As far as taxidermy for everything goes by then I should be good and confident enough o handle alot of my own work, with a little assistance from one of the best in Texas who happens to be a good friend.

The other guys are self employed so our trip pretty much hinges on my flexibility and we are getting a deal of a lifetime so barring travel, licenses, and fees we should come out fairly reasonable as far as expenses go.

you mentioned chartering up north from flin flon? Is that a road accessible trip or does it require a plane?

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can get to Flin flon by road. The Charter is to get access to better hunting area for Caribou.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good deal. i have a year to figure out all of the details. i just hate going into something completly unprepared.

If i recall from previous reading as a non resident in Manitoba you have to hunt with an licensed outfitter correct? We are covered for our stay in Flin Flon but if we wanted to branch out to Caribou country is there any recommendations for an outfitter? Is the northern land public, private, or a little bit of both?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts