Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just found these forums and it's fantastic to see hunting forums dedicated just to the Manitoba hunter and angler. I am not sure how many of you are aware of the mentored hunt program we have here in Manitoba, but with fall fast approaching I thought I would put the word out there to see if there was any youngsters that would be interested in taking part in the program. We have a number of mentored waterfowl hunts taking place across the province as well as mentored muzzleloader deer hunts. Most of these programs are for youth aged 12 -17 with a hunter safety certificate, but there are a few adult mentored hunts also.

The hunts are a two day program where the participants learn about safety, waterfowl identification, ethics and conservation, setting up decoys, clay shooting, waterfowl calling and finally they go on a evening scouting trip. The following day the participants meet up with their screened mentors and a small group of hunters and mentors go out for a morning hunt. The focus of the hunt is on safety and learning how to hunt and not filling a bag limit. After the hunt the mentors and participants meet up for a BBQ lunch and are shown how to clean their birds if they were lucky enough to get any. A list of the different events happening across Canada can be found, http://www.ducks.ca/resource/hunters/mentoredhunt.html This is a program that is supported by Ducks Unlimited Canada, Manitoba Wildlife Federation, Delta Waterfowl and Manitoba Conservation.

Also, as some of you might have noticed that there is now a youth only season for turkey, deer, and of course waterfowl. Be sure to take this opportunity and take a youth out hunting during these seasons.

If you guys have any questions or are interested in helping out as a mentor or know of someone interested in learning how to hunt, please get in contact with me. My e-mail address can be found at the above link.

Chris Benson
Waterfowling Heritage Coordinator
Ducks Unlimited Canada
P.O. Box 1160
Stonewall, MB
R0C 2Z0

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Chris, thanks for posting that here. What a great program to help get the kids started hunting.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I've been on the organizing committee of the Gary McRae Memorial Youth Hunt based out of Oak Hammock since its inception approximately 10 years ago. Gary McRae was a local farmer who did not like seeing less and less kids out hunting every year. He was part of our organizing committee until health issues related to ALS denied him the opportunity to continue. He passed away several years ago so we renamed the hunt in his honor!

Chris Benson has mentored at our hunt as well as many others. Chris brings waterfowl hunting passion and experience to these activities! I encourage all waterfowl hunters, past and present to take the time to help out at these hunts. The kids have a great time and the mentors get a real big kick out seeing the kids have such a blast!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks André for the kind words, Garry had always been such a pleasure to work with both with the youth hunts and when I was hunting. Always looked out for the local hunters and made sure they had a spot to hunt.

Sent you a PM Tomzee, if there is anyone else interested please get in touch with me. It is amazing to be with the kids on their very first hunt, to see the excitement and thrill they get when they get their first bird! We all started because some one at some point took the time to take us out and teach us how to hunt. Kids today don't always get that chance, we need to provide them that chance.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I still remeber my first time out hunting, well it wasn't that long ago, depending on the dates I might be able to give out a hand with something, I have universty but I don`t mind help out kids or even new people learn on how to hunt, I never went to one the events because well cause my dad knows some land owners so we mostly always had permission, himself, my uncle and well the hunter saftey program taught me everything I know.

It`s really good to see what is going on to get young ones back out

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a number of waterfowl hunts taking place this year,

September 1st & 2nd
Alexander (Brandon) youth hunt
Minnedosa youth hunt

September 8th & 9th
Delta Marsh adult mentored hunt

September 15th & 16th
Oak Hammock youth hunt
Asessippi youth hunt

September 22nd & 23rd
Oak Hammock adult mentored hunt

Septemeber 29th and 30th
Delta Marsh Women's only mentored hunt
Winnipeg youth hunt

If anyone has any question feel free to ask!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I might be able to help you guys out with the Oak Hammock hunt on the 15th and 16th, it is in range for me to go (Il see if my dad will come to), I can have answer for you by the middle of auguest. It is going to be a busy year with univeristy, curling, work, and well my self doing some hunting as well, I don't mind giving up a day or two of hunts to help out

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll contribute my skeet thrower. Some clays. My personal coffin blind. My full body goose decoys. In return I just want Mr.Bensons word nothing comes back ruined. I'm gone for moose Sept 22-29 so I'll donate it all while I'm gone.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
thepatriot said:
I'll contribute my skeet thrower. Some clays. My personal coffin blind. My full body goose decoys. In return I just want Mr.Bensons word nothing comes back ruined. I'm gone for moose Sept 22-29 so I'll donate it all while I'm gone.
The MWF or local MWF affiliate provides the clay thrower for the Gary McRae Memorial Youth Hunt at Oak Hammock. The Province provides the shells. We've bought our own lay out blinds and some decoys over the years. If conditions are right we also get access to existing pits in some of the local properties.

We've shared our equipment with the Winnipeg Youth Hunt so we're pretty self sufficient.

Maybe Chris has some hunts that need equipment.

Moose sausage is never turned down though! :)

Thank you for your generous offer!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
204Waterfowler said:
im a youth hunter (age 16) ive been hunting for about 3 years would you still recommend the mentored hunts ive never done one before
First of all, welcome to MHF. Would I recommend you attend a mentored hunt.....absolutely! There's always something to learn, no matter what age someone is. I'm in my mid 60s, and I still go to as many hunting seminars as I can. Rarely am i disappointed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[offtopic:4k21xgqa]Maybe Chris has some hunts that need equipment.[/offtopic:4k21xgqa]

I think we should be good for blinds at most hunts. DUC has also purchased a few blinds as well as decoys for the mentored hunts.

[offtopic:4k21xgqa]im a youth hunter (age 16) ive been hunting for about 3 years would you still recommend the mentored hunts ive never done one before[/offtopic:4k21xgqa]

Have a look at the list of hunts with dates find which hunt works best for you, next to each hunt there is the hunt captain's conatct info. This list is hperlinked in my first post on this thread.

·
Registered
113 Posts
thanks alot guys i wanted to do the mentored hunts last year but i broke my colar bone so i couldnt go but i still hinted with a broken collar bone :eek: mom wasnt to happy hahaha how is the shooting on the hunts. my dad and i hunt lots with lots of birds do we shoot lots?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your first step would be to contact the hunt captain and find out from them when they will start taking applicants for their hunts. Each hunt is different.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, next to each hunt there is a phone number or e-mail address of the contact person that is in charge of that hunt. Have a look and see which hunts work for you and if you have any problems let me know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts