Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am doing some passive shooting this year. I am looking for a nice place to hunt geese near Winnipeg, 1-2 hours away give and take. Anyone kind enough to share any hot spots please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChaD? said:
Tuelon sewage leugon. Highway 17 east of town. was a ton of birds in the area
Is it crown land? Can you PM me the exact directions on how to get there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would worry about the bacteria on the birds fresh out of a lagoon. You handle the birds, then clean them, and then what EAT them I would not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rem if your doing pass shooting and want someting close to Winnipeg. Just go to the fireing Line at Grants Lake out in Rosser. Pick your post and wait for the birds. On a good day you can get some good hunting there. Other days it's just bird watching. But that what you get when your pass shooting.

·
Registered
445 Posts
[offtopic:nop6ixny]Don't you have to pay to hunt around there???[/offtopic:nop6ixny]

*Some* landowners ask for a dollar amount per gun to use their field, normally $10 - $15 for locals for are not guiding. But seeing how they have take time out of their day to sign a permission form and track who is what field, I feel it is a small price to pay. I've have only run into this once and a while.

Regardles at the end of the hunt, I will do a nice thank you card with a gift cert. to local resturant for allowing us/me on their field. Much happier to do that and I think it really helps when I go asking for permission the next time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tons of birds out there, no one is gonna give you there hot spot, best thing to do is get in your truck and drive, find some birds and start knocking on doors.

G

·
Chris Benson said:
[offtopic:2xn4fhuj]Don't you have to pay to hunt around there???[/offtopic:2xn4fhuj]

*Some* landowners ask for a dollar amount per gun to use their field, normally $10 - $15 for locals for are not guiding. But seeing how they have take time out of their day to sign a permission form and track who is what field, I feel it is a small price to pay. I've have only run into this once and a while.

Regardles at the end of the hunt, I will do a nice thank you card with a gift cert. to local resturant for allowing us/me on their field. Much happier to do that and I think it really helps when I go asking for permission the next time!
The funny thing with those few landowners charging per gun is on a wet year when there crops are laying getting slammed they aren't paying per gun to help them out!
I totally agree with the gift cards, had farmers give our group and no other there acreage for the whole season. There were times were we had up to 3000 acres for the season. End of season spend a day doing pr work and handing out appreciation gifts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your input guys. I managed to find a place in the RM of Springfield. Going to try it out this long weekend. =)

·
Registered
125 Posts
$10 a day at oak hammock. it was the price that was mandatory when the C.O's managed it. Totally worth it. 20 minutes from home. guarenteed geese ( almost ). And you dont need much. We have maybe 3 dozen decent decoys and get birds landing all the time. finding a good spot with vacancies is difficult but should be getting easier I would imagine.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
ChaD? said:
$10 a day at oak hammock. it was the price that was mandatory when the C.O's managed it. Totally worth it. 20 minutes from home. guarenteed geese ( almost ). And you dont need much. We have maybe 3 dozen decent decoys and get birds landing all the time. finding a good spot with vacancies is difficult but should be getting easier I would imagine.
It's important to get things straight Chad. Wildlife Branch "manages" the wildlife and crown land uses within the managed area. They used to run check stations to disperse hunters and minimize crowding and hunter conflict within the managed hunting area. Officers enforce the laws not "manage" the resource! There has never been a mandatory price to hunt within the managed area either. Land access fees are totally dependent on the landowner. Most don't charge a cent while others charge $5 to $20 per hunter.

As for Grant's Lake, I'm told that its dry! No water = no birds!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ChaD? said:
Are there any areas that allow for pass shooting in Oak hammock? Or is it straight decoying down there?

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Rem5R said:
ChaD? said:
Are there any areas that allow for pass shooting in Oak hammock? Or is it straight decoying down there?
One MUST HUNT ON PRIVATE LAND ONLY within the Managed Area. Pass shooting is definitely allowed and possible as long as you have written permission to be on the property and you're not shooting into the waterfowl control zone.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
André said:
Rem5R said:
[quote="ChaD?":a7xvcnis]$10 a day at oak hammock. it was the price that was mandatory when the C.O's managed it. Totally worth it. 20 minutes from home. guarenteed geese ( almost ). And you dont need much. We have maybe 3 dozen decent decoys and get birds landing all the time. finding a good spot with vacancies is difficult but should be getting easier I would imagine.
One MUST HUNT ON PRIVATE LAND ONLY within the Managed Area. Pass shooting is definitely allowed and possible as long as you have written permission to be on the property and you're not shooting into the waterfowl control zone.[/quote:a7xvcnis]

Andre': many have said it, but, I'd like to add to it...your knowledge, insightfulness, levelheadedness, and willingness to share information with our members, is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm safe in saying thank you, from all of us here on MHF.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Thanks Riggs! :) And as I've posted on many occasions, I find it extremely important to provide correct information, remove innuendo, call b.s. if it needs to be called as well as plain old sharing of hunting and fishing stories. I've made many, many friends from these outdoor forums. This also brings natural resource crime fighting into the computer and social media age! All part of the public's right to know as I alluded to in the Métis hunting thread!

Only 1 year, 9 months and 19 days left until someone else has to pick up the ball! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts