Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up on another website: The long gun registry is gone for all Canadian provinces except Quebec. Its been a long time coming and the winning of a major battle for Canadian shooters and hunters.

I sure hope it's true for you guys, and that common sense has finally prevailed.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's some more info from the article:

"As of midnight last night the is no need to keep your registration certs. I was surprised not only by it passing the senate so quickly but it coming into force so quickly. The firearms center operated by the RCMP already have it up on their site. Thanks to all Canadians who fought the registry with time ,money and votes. Also hats off to the Conservative government."

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quebec has a court injunction to hold up the destruction of the Quebec data...the LGR (long gun registry) is gone. The only province that still has to register their long guns for now is Quebec. What some people (anti-gun lobbyists) don't understand is that it is only the LGR that is gone. People still need to register their Restricted firearms and handguns, in which handgunds have always needed to be registered. We still need our PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) or a RPAL (Restricted PAL). To get either of these license cards, one needs to go through a course, take not only a written test as well as a hands on test, pass with more than 80%, then fill out forms which are very thorough. You go through a background check and so on...then, if you pass all of that you are issued your PAL or RPAL card. Registering a firearm doesn't do anything...you are registering yourself. The registry did nothing to prevent a single crime or death.

This is just my opinion and not trying to start a big debate, but i'm glad that the LGR is gone.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fish_Killer said:
Quebec has a court injunction to hold up the destruction of the Quebec data...the LGR (long gun registry) is gone. The only province that still has to register their long guns for now is Quebec. What some people (anti-gun lobbyists) don't understand is that it is only the LGR that is gone. People still need to register their Restricted firearms and handguns, in which handgunds have always needed to be registered. We still need our PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) or a RPAL (Restricted PAL). To get either of these license cards, one needs to go through a course, take not only a written test as well as a hands on test, pass with more than 80%, then fill out forms which are very thorough. You go through a background check and so on...then, if you pass all of that you are issued your PAL or RPAL card. Registering a firearm doesn't do anything...you are registering yourself. The registry did nothing to prevent a single crime or death.

This is just my opinion and not trying to start a big debate, but i'm glad that the LGR is gone.
Thanks for shedding more light on the subject. At least it's a step in the right direction for you guys.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This whole potentially giving the information to the province of Quebec is going to be bad for the conservatives I imagine, The opposition is probably going to chew into them regardless of what they do even though the NDP is Pro-registration. If they give them the information, They will probably get chewed for kind of "Betraying" firearm-bearing citizens thus weakening the conservatives already weakened support from Quebec, If they do not they will get chewed for wasting Quebec tax dollars having to reaquire the information.
However, I did find it funny when this legislation was being passed alot of NDP MP's representing rural areas supported it (For obvious reasons) even though their party didn't. Gotta love politics.
Regardless I am looking forward to not having to register guns, I found the transfer process was the most annoying not being able to take possession of firearms until the transfer was complete (2-24hr process). Another inconvience of the system was the hours of operation of the department. Would be nice if the government used the freed money they WERE dumping into the registration, and put it into conservation to kind of "Give back" to the people who they were .....punishing (For lake of better words). Regardless of my views it will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
it's all posturing from Quebec. The data was collected by the feds, for a federal program, any charges laid in federal court. Quebec has no right to the info. They can start their own ( good luck with that...), but for the time being, feel free to buy online from gunnutz quebec members. Retailers are having issues, as they are suppose to call and verify the PAL. Give it a couple weeks, things will smooth out. Just thinking of all the hidden firearms seeing the light of day for the first time in a lot of years puts a big smile on my face! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
upnorth said:
it's all posturing from Quebec. The data was collected by the feds, for a federal program, any charges laid in federal court. Quebec has no right to the info.
But isn't it a God given right for Quebec to recieve everything from the federal government that it demands??!?!?!?

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Don't be painting all Québecois with the same brush! Just like every other Province, State, Country, etc. there are good people, bad people and middle of the road people. The rural Québec folks had no more use for the lgr than we did!

I know of one guy who did not have one of his 40+ firearms registered! While staying at his place about 10 years ago, I asked my 14 year old son to count as many of buddy's guns as he could find. When he was done counting, we asked buddy how many guns he had. He was close, only off by about 20! He couldn't believe that my kid had counted over 40 long guns in the house.

To this day, I bet you his guns are still behind the door of every room in his house, beside the fridge, beside the couch...none of them locked in rooms or cabinets. He didn't give a rat's rear end about the lgr and these other oppressive firearm laws. I've spent a lot of time in Québec and this fellow is not alone in his opinion of those useless laws. Unfortunately, they must be a lot quieter than the antis!

·
Registered
869 Posts
True enough Andre, I still think the people who voted conservative for the reason of getting rid of registration will feel alienated if information is passed between the federal govt to Quebec govt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its about time that it is gone.....Should never have happened in the first place. The liberals wasted so much money to get it up and running. And to make matters worst it didn't even do what the people of Toronto and Montreal thought it was suppose to do and that was to cut down on crime. Thank goodness its gone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tango said:
I wonder if the Government will ever post how much money the LGR cost the tax payers
I don't think so...Will on second thought the conservatives might to win votes in the next election especially if this saved the tax payers a ton of money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The new ndp leader has pledged to put the registry back in effect if elected. He's adamant that all members will follow the party line on this. FYI if you vote ndp, or know a gun owner who does....

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think a gun owner voting NDP would be like a gay-marrage/socialized healthcare republican :lmao: . Still a good point to make UN. However I did enjoy the fact a buncha rural NDP MP's were supporting the abolishment bill so there probably is a few gunslinging ndp voters afterall.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Interesting comments. Where is Wendy now? I haven't heard one word from her, has anyone? Oh yeah, there's no Liberal dollars going into her pocket to generate the propaganda. Quebec is a whole different animal politically and they just continue to alienate themselves. All the violence and protests over tuition hikes where the costs are already lower than anywhere else point that out. Where does that kind of sense of entitlement come from? Andre is right though, we can't paint everyone with the same brush.
My big worry about data currently in the LGR is what will be done with it. While the LGR was in operation there were major mistakes made in the accidental "release" of data. There was very little publicity at those times. I would like to see it made public exactly what the destruction of data guidelines and timelines are. With no data lying around for a potential non-gun-friendly future government to re-use, I believe it would be political suicide for that party to try to re-invent that wheel with the public aware of the cost.
As FK points out, the PAL/RPAL is still there and it makes sense in today's world. If the likes of Wendy and others like her didn't try to hide that fact from a very uninformed public at the time, we might have had a chance to pre-empt the LGR in the first place. The single biggest mistake the Conservatives made in the LGR battle was assuming that the public knew all about a handgun registry that has existed since the 30's, the PAL/RPAL's, etc. As law abiding gun owners let's never be that complacent again. And that goes for other issues, like the ability to continue to hunt or reload or own semi-automatic firearms. Speak up for what you think should be your rights, don't assume that democracy is a given. You have to participate for it to be one.
As for those NDP members who are going to get whipped eventually, they need to make some hard decisions about what democracy really is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts