Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find information on what the laws and regulations say about shooting near federal or provincial corrections facilities (jail). Is there a minimum distance you must be from a corrections facility to legally hunt and/or discharge a firearm?

I have contacted the NRO for the area in which the facility in question is located, I am waiting for a response now. Just trying to do a little research before talking to him. The Canadian Firearms Act was no help to me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As far as I heard there is a specific distance.Way Farther then the off a road way distance if not mistaken. My neighbour works at Milner ridge correction facility I'll see if he knows or if they have any signs posted etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I heard there is a specific distance.Way Farther then the off a road way distance if not mistaken. My neighbour works at Milner ridge correction facility I'll see if he knows or if they have any signs posted etc
They have posted signs, over 1.5 km from their facility though. Seemed a bit overkill to me. Those signs are the reason I am asking. I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I have no idea. Maybe there's an RM by law? In Rockwood firearms are discharged literally right across PR 321 from Stony Pen property.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Can't compare Milner to stony or headingly jails... Nobody is breaking out the .300 at headingly or stony, 99% of the time it's shotguns in those areas... Milner however gets a big influx of non local (I know I know) rifle hunters, and having spent a fair amount of time in the area I fully agree with a the buffer zone!!! There are people working there 24hrs a day 7 days a week, inside and outside, and a stray bullet to a corrections officer could result in some pretty unique circumstances!!! Lots of space there to hunt, not really any need to be within 1.5km anyway IMO

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is no hunting past those signs, what may seem like overkill to some doesn't take into account there are also staff who work outside the main compound. Just because it looks like nothing but bush doesn't mean there isn't staff working close by.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts