Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am exploring a deer hunting location and would like some feedback on which stand or blind would workk best.

The location:
Its along a pipeline (roughly 50 yards of open grass). On the south side of pipeline is mixed bush with a bay area of small fir trees (5-6' each), the bay shaped area funnels into multiple deer trials. Across from this area on the other side is also mixed bush. My plan was to set up on this side facing the small fir trees.

So the question is whether to put up a ladder tree stand at the edge of the bush facing across the open pipeline or use a ground blind.

I am considering building a ladder tree stand to get my up about 15' or getting a portable ground blind.

Any comments on how to drill down to the most effective blind or stand in this situation?

thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well, either way is good... Is there trees large enough to support the stand??? Are you Bowhunting or Gun hunting???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gun hunting and yes there are plenty of trees 10" or more.
Visibility across this open space should enhance my chances provided I am not visible, so just back in the bush a bit would likely help.

Steve

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If it was me I would hang a ladder or hang on stand, you can elevate yourself and see more and may be able to tweak your setup as the season progresses... :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
funny you should say that, over the weekend I started but didn't complete a ladder stand (15.5'), still need to make the deck for it, so I was kinda thinking along those lines but then started second quessing my self after looking on line at ground blinds, had me wondering which would be better.

Plus I'm hoping to still hunt (after morning sitting) the bay shaped area with the short fir trees, this is only a couple of acres and it will allow me to pick the down wind side and move through the trees slowly, along the edges of the small trees and the regular bush line. It kinda looks like this bay shaped area was once burnt or somehow cleared and then planted with fir trees, no sure why.

Steve

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd go with a stand as well for this situation, if you do choose the blind option just make it out of the natural surroundings(grass, branches,bush, etc) to really blend in. Oh and from a guy that has fallen out of a tree stand, wear a safety harness, it's no fun going splat out of a stand!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys
I'll finishe that stand and get it up soon for rifle season
plus I'll make a natural ground blind
might as well try them all

maybe a stand harness is in order too

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I don't get the building a ladder stand thing. If you're putting up a home made platform with a ladder to climb onto it then you need to be on private land. You can't erect such structures on Crown land.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't know that, but that does make a difference, thanks for mentioning it.
Guess that leaves me with two options, a portable stand or make a natural ground blind, or just sit up against a tree.
Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
ladder stands are new to me. I've hunted on the ground wandering, posting, etc.for many years. Course, I'm not a spring chicken anymore, and, to be honest, I kinda like the idea of being in a ladder with a harness. Even bought one this year, and will get it up before muzzleloading starts. Let the young guys wander around, and bring em to me! lol
As far as a ground blind, I think that would work too. I'd rather be up higher tho. Critters don't normally look up..for the most part.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
André said:
I don't get the building a ladder stand thing. If you're putting up a home made platform with a ladder to climb onto it then you need to be on private land. You can't erect such structures on Crown land.
I thought you could providing it was taken down two weeks after the close of the season???
from the guide:

"Any tree stand or blind on Crown land must be clearly identified
with the name and address of the person who placed it. Tree
stands or blinds can only be left overnight on Crown lands
for the purpose of hunting deer, moose, elk, caribou, black bear
and wild turkey.[glow=red:3s270q7x]Tree stands and blinds being used to hunt deer,
moose, elk, caribou, black bear and wild turkey can be placed up
to two weeks before the season they are intended to be used for
and all parts of tree stands and blinds on Crown land must be
removed within two weeks of the close of the hunting season for
which they are used.[/glow:3s270q7x] Tree stands and blinds can be used to hunt
any other legally hunted wildlife as long as they are removed
from Crown lands and taken with the hunter when they are
finished hunting for the day."

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
That speaks to "commercial tree stands (climbers, hangers, ladder types" and not structures that are built in trees for hunting purposes.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
So basically store bought stands??? Even if you built it out of wood and took it down at the end of season it would be illegal??? Just curious really...

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Are you nailing boards into trees? If you answered yes then it's not allowed.

Is your "wooden" tree stand "portable or removable" like a climber, hanger or ladder stand (whether bought or built)? Yes! Then go for it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I used to hunt on one of section private land. I built three permanent stands and left them up year round. So I built them very strong and we set them up with 3 people and a tractor. My friend joked that when the tree rotted the tree stand held it up. So be carefull with weakly built tree stands. Especially wood ones which can rot. For the vertical rails I used treated 2x6, rungs 2x4 and platform 2x4 frame. Back of platform a piece of steel angle with spikes welded on. Eye bolts and 3/8 chain and long bolts for tightening. Sides for protection from wind. Fold down hockey stick going from rail to rail in front for protection for someone who may fall asleep, these also work well as a rest (front cross piece and sides). Rails are back at angle so you can climb up ladder without hands if you had to or you lost your grip. The best tree is an oak. The ladder will sit better if you allow it to sink in the ground a little, otherwise it may want to walk a little. Putting it on some sort of cement pads will prevent rot, but will feel dangerous. You could cable it down with some sort of ground anchor. And was this all worth it, well the first day I used the one stand i had 6 deer come within 10 ft of the bottom of the stand. You can on private land with permission also tune this by cutting travel corridors and shooting lanes. Remember the higher you go in a tree the higher the branches which are in the way are. To cut these you may need a saw which extends to 15 feet. Anyway i could go on and on here.

·
Registered
328 Posts
André said:

Is your "wooden" tree stand "portable or removable" like a climber, hanger or ladder stand (whether bought or built)? Yes! Then go for it.
"Any tree stand or blind on Crown land"

Andre

The word "any" leaves this open to interruption. Maybe a little more definition to the type of stands and fastening systems allowed could be defined in the regulation.

But thanks for info.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Walli said:
André said:

"Any tree stand or blind on Crown land"

Andre

The word "any" leaves this open to interruption. Maybe a little more definition to the type of stands and fastening systems allowed could be defined in the regulation.

But thanks for info.
I agree, according to the way it's worded it doesn't imply a commercial or store bought stand, it encompasses any stand no matter what size or shape. If there are restrictions it should be in writing not implied. By reading what was posted I'd say he is perfectly legal to use his stand he built on crown land. I can't see someone getting a fine based on that wording and if they did theres no way it would hold up if fought in court, unless there's more specific wording in the regs that wasn't posted here

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
The issue is erecting a structure on Crown land without a permit. Using boards or materials that get nailed to trees or posts pounded into the ground to support a structure would be considered erecting structures. These structures are almost never removed after a hunting season. The Porcupines and Duck Mtns had hundreds of those things over the years.

Anything that would be strapped or chained to a tree or even the old style hanging a tree stand to a large bolt screwed into a tree would be considered a portable/removable item.

The wording is kept simple to not restrict or limit the type of portable. Don't try to read too much in the wording.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts