Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well three tags purchased at the beginning of the season and three tags notched, I am officially done deer hunting this year! Now I know some of you are anti shooting does( and i can totally understand and respect that point of view)so I figured I'd add a couple different type of pictures without actually showing the deer much to avoid upsetting anyone. One picture is the view from my stand of the deer after she went down, it's not the best using an iPhone at full zoom from any kind of distance. The other is the damage done by my FX-3 broadhead and APA Mamba 6.5. The wind tonight I figured could be a big advantage.... It masks your movements with all the branches and leaves swaying and blowing around, it masks any noise you make, and it blows your scent away so you can really weaken a few of the deers defenses on a day like today. I sat in a stand that I had a hunch about tonight even though it's been totally dead the two times I sat there and the trail cams had zero deer on them by that stand, but it is traditionally a reliable location. Well a good half hour before dark a couple deer popped out onto the field 60 yards from behind me, directly downwind go figure. Normally 99% of the time they hit the field and go straight out away from the bush but for whatever reason they walked parallel to the bush towards me then right in front of me, never winding me miraculously. This nice doe gave me a 25 yard shot totally clueless to my presence, it was a little tricky aiming from a tree stand with a 70 km gusting winds but the shot hit its mark with a pass through and the deer expired quickly right in front of me on the field. Go figure I took the car instead of the truck not expecting to see many deer trying to save a few bucks on gas, so I had to go home with the car and come back with the truck( so much for saving money on gas :). Got this one loaded no problem, Lol. Sorry for the post to all the guys that hate shooting does but like I said I hunt for the meat, and I'm pretty satisfied with my season but kind of sad to see it come to such an early end. I guess there's more fishing in my future now that I'm tagged out and I may even hang out with my wife a little now during a hunting season for once! Good luck to everyone and I look forward to all the stories and pictures from the muzzle and rifle seasons!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well congradulations. Lets see 3 three with a bow in a short period of time, a very difficult task indeed. And a very big thank you from myself and many other rifle hunters who may not even go this year or get one if we do. This gives me a great deal of confidents to continue now. Any one wanna buy a gun. I might as well accept defeit. Just kidding ofcourse and way to go.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ldb pikester said:
Well congradulations. Lets see 3 three with a bow in a short period of time, a very difficult task indeed. And a very big thank you from myself and many other rifle hunters who may not even go this year or get one if we do. This gives me a great deal of confidents to continue now. Any one wanna buy a gun. I might as well accept defeit. Just kidding ofcourse and way to go.
:lmao: you had me going while I read your post, you got me good!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Some great shooting for ya this year Jamie,enjoy your good eats! I'd rather eat a tendor Doe steak,than a buck steak any day!

Reactions: clawj

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dang, you've almost pegged more deer this year than I have seen,lol. Way to go! I held off on a broadside doe at 15 yds, It is my only tag this year and I don't want to be done yet. Had it been a buck though...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Dam I just thought of something. Now that you are done hunting you will switch to fishing, with your mastery and luck, there goes the walleye population in the Red. Oh well just STAY AWAY FROM LAC DU BONNET. Deal.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ldb pikester said:
Dam I just thought of something. Now that you are done hunting you will switch to fishing, with your mastery and luck, there goes the walleye population in the Red. Oh well just STAY AWAY FROM LAC DU BONNET. Deal.
We just happen to have a cabin in LDB!! Not much mastery when it comes to me, lots of luck is more accurate. Look for a single console blue Lund 1775 with a 90 merc a lot at pine falls and Selkirk, if you see me swing by and say hi.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great job! Keep us posted on how you're feeling in November. ;) I'm sure you won't have any regrets but I suspect there will be a bit of a feeling that something is missing. I guess you could always sign up to party hunt just for the sake of getting out if you liked.

Reactions: clawj

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kennyw said:
Great job! Keep us posted on how you're feeling in November. ;) I'm sure you won't have any regrets but I suspect there will be a bit of a feeling that something is missing. I guess you could always sign up to party hunt just for the sake of getting out if you liked.
I know I'll have mixed feelings. On one side it will be nice to not be in a stand in -20 temps near the end, it will be nice to avoid a lot of trips out( I go 3-4 times a week) and the gas expense, plus I will be around home and the family more. On the flip side hunting is a passion/addiction for me so there will definitely be a void during the rut, but I've already offered to push bush for buddies during gun seasons or just be a cameraman and video some friends hunts. I just love being out there so hanging out helping or videoing for others will at least extend my time in the field even though I won't be actually shooting anything more. I'll probably even occasionally head out to one of the properties I have permission on and do some shooting (with my good camera :D )and just enjoy the time and scenery without any pressure to shoot anything.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Way to go Jamie. What an accomplishment to be tagged out before the end of September and all with a stick and string. And don't feel you have to apologize to anyone for taking a doe. You took them with a bow under fair chase conditions. That is something to be proud of and is no easy feat. Cherish the hunt, the kill and the tasty chops. Good job Jamie, enjoy the rest of your fall however you decide to spend it. The rest of us can only hope we have a deer season as successful as yours.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
André said:
Can always try your luck on yotes or wolves Jamie! Great work on the flag tails man!
To clarify...one can only hunt yotes or wolves in a big game season and with a license and unused tag for that particular specie. Therefore, Jamie is correct in saying that he thought that he couldn't hunt coyotes or wolf during deer seasons now that he's used up all his available tags.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts