Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have a question, if I'm hunting grouse and I see geese flying over and I'm carrying some steel shot is it legal to take the goose even tho I have lead shot on me for the grouse? I thought I read some place that if I shoot geese I can't be in possession of lead shot? Cam anyone help here?

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Kennyb0328 said:
Hey everyone I have a question, if I'm hunting grouse and I see geese flying over and I'm carrying some steel shot is it legal to take the goose even tho I have lead shot on me for the grouse? I thought I read some place that if I shoot geese I can't be in possession of lead shot? Cam anyone help here?
Migratory Bird Regulation
15.1 (1) no person shall

(a) possess, for the purpose of hunting a migratory game bird, except a woodcock, band-tailed pigeon or mourning dove, shot other than non-toxic shot; or

(b) hunt a migratory game bird, except a woodcock, band-tailed pigeon or mourning dove, by the use of shot other than non-toxic shot.

There it is in black and white. So use steel to hunt grouse and be completely safe from possible prosecution. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
The regs have given absolutely no thought to the scenario you describe. They make exceptions to both posession and hunting with lead and should have included grouse too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah Andre I guess would be the best perseon to answer, but it looks to me like as long as your are only shooting the ducks with steel, it's okay to have lead on your person.

Only problem would be COs might not believe you. Probably just want to decide if you want to take that chance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can't even have lead shot on you if you are hunting geese - period. Its pretty clear in the regulations.

Migratory Bird Regulation
15.1 (1) no person shall

(a) [glow=red:aj1ze96i]possess[/glow:aj1ze96i], for the purpose of hunting a migratory game bird, except a woodcock, band-tailed pigeon or mourning dove, shot other than non-toxic shot; or

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is why I think Andre or someone who would know should chime in.

I'm no where near the most knowledgable person on the subject, but when I read that, I see you can't POSSESS lead shot for the purpose of hunting a migratory game bird.

Maybe I just take that differently than others (I'm no English major, which is why I wish they would just give an example) but my thought is that he does not possess the lead shot for the purpose of migratory game bird hunting. He has it for the purpose of hunting grouse. It's a fine line, but that's the way I read it. As I said, I wouldn't risk the ticket just based on my opinion, because I can obviously see why telling a CO "I swear, I have lead shot and I'm shooting geese, but I didn't bring the lead shot for that purpose!" isn't guaranteed to work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
To be more clear I think the regulation should just say "When hunting migratory game birds you can not have lead shot in your possession". Then the answer would be clear.

But to me, by saying "for the purpose of..." it suggests you can have lead shot on you, it just can't be for the purpose (or plan) of shooting geese with it.

Like I said... maybe I'm just reading too much into it here but I think it is worded rather ambiguously.

·
Registered
107 Posts
JetsOrBust said:
Andre did answer in the second post. He said to hunt grouse with steel shot too so there would be no issue.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cubby said:
JetsOrBust said:
Andre did answer in the second post. He said to hunt grouse with steel shot too so there would be no issue.
Somehow I didn't notice that, thanks.

Although even he didn't seem to come out and say you COULDN'T have lead shot on you, he just said to be totally safe you might as well.

To be honest I don't hunt migratory birds and I use steel shot for grouse anyways, but it just bothers me that they use confusing "fancy-sounding" language instead of just spelling things out as clearly as possible in the hunting guide!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Actually he did... If you intend on getting a few cracks at geese then you are in fact hunting Migratory Game Birds, therefore to have lead shot in your possession would in fact be illegal...

"To be honest I don't hunt migratory birds and I use steel shot for grouse anyways"

You got your bases covered!!! If all you use is steel you can shoot ducks and geese while hunting grouse (providing you have the migratory stamp/permit)...

·
Registered
530 Posts
To be honest I don't hunt migratory birds and I use steel shot for grouse anyways
you use steel for grouse all the time? is yes why? steel sucks in comparison to lead and its twice the price

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
brettwilby said:
To be honest I don't hunt migratory birds and I use steel shot for grouse anyways
you use steel for grouse all the time? is yes why? steel sucks in comparison to lead and its twice the price
Oh no, here comes the Lead vs Steel debate!!!! LOL

I don't agree that steel sucks, you just have to change the way you shoot and know your limitations... But it is twice the price!!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Maybe I was lucky and started shooting steel at an early age and have just grown accustomed to it over the years... In the RIGHT hands its as humane as any of the shot materials (lead, tungsten, bismuth, etc)... But you can't be a sky blaster and need to know the limitations of you and your equipment... JMHO....

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
My quote of the applicable section of the MBR covers both scenarios being discussed. If you intend to hunt MGBirds other than...., you can't possess anything other than non-toxic shot. If you actually hunt MGBirds other than.... you can't use anything other than non-toxic shot.

The instant you decide to pull on a MGBird with lead shot you have generated the criteria or evidence of the illegal act. That's why I stated to hunt grouse with steel shot to be safe. You won't make a mistake of pulling on a MGBird with lead shot if all you're using is steel.

If you're sitting in a field wanting to smack geese and ducks with steel and a flock of sharptail come in, are you going to switch to lead (which by law you can't have with you at that time) or will you open up with steel?

·
Registered
256 Posts
brettwilby said:
It's twice the price, but I think I've maybe shot at most 3 birds in a season before... so I'm not exactly going broke using it.

Again, I'm not a gun nut so how exactly does steel suck? I thought it was lighter, had tighter groupings, and penetrated further? Lead spreads out more which helps for goose hunting (not a big factor for birds)... anyone care to enlighten me? I suppose lead would have more knock down power since it deforms and flattens on impact but wouldn't steel shot actually have a longer range or no?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts