Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there - I am new to Manitoba - living in Brandon. I am originally from the east coast, but having been living in Alberta last 2 years.

I am relocated to Brandon and am itching to get out hunting. I am not looking for anyones secret spots etc - but does anyone know / lead me in the right direction to where I can find good info on crown land areas. I am aware of some of the wildlife management areas (is this a good start? Brandon hills? Assiniboine Corridor?) but are there other common huntin areas?

I am just looking for meat in the freezer this year!

any info greatly appreciated.

Peter

·
Registered
56 Posts
grab a land map at the municipal office that will help out ,i went to hartney once, lauder sand hills i think is that way it was a nice area few guys during rifle but may be nice this time of year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Souris Riverbend WMA is 20 or so minutes south of Brandon. Crown land and a nice area.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Toban said:
Souris Riverbend WMA is 20 or so minutes south of Brandon. Crown land and a nice area.
X2,I hunted there for about 10 years when I was younger,Incredibly beautiful country as well as we always seen an abundance of deer back then.It is on pth 346 between the towns of Nesbitt and Margaret.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I used to hunt in the Brandon Hills when I lived in Brandon... Lots of does with the odd buck.. Seen a big buck the one night driving back to the city at the bottom of the hill....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sprucewoods provincial forest is pretty good, but a bit of a hike from Brandon

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all - thanks for all the info - had time to check out a few of the areas and got a few days in! always nice. Saw a few bucks from far, no big ones down. Got off work tonight and had a little time before sunset - decided to go out and get some fresh air. Grabbed my hunter orange and my rifle and hit the woods. Nice night out - went through the woods (crown land) and checked on a small field that I have seen some action - went to a good scrap line and waited -
A nice fat young buck stepped out 75 yds south of me- since this is the last chance to get out - dropped him

Very happy - should be a very good meat.

I don't have good field pics (just 2 on my iphone) otherwise would have shared a pic or two!

·
Registered
106 Posts
way to go, ya hunting a new province isn't easy. Got r done right on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts