Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv hunted whitetails the same way for 6 years and always on private land, this year I wanna go out to sandy lands and try something different . I've never come out of a season without meat I just want to challenge my abilities . Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
get off the beaten path and away from the roads. Try to get to your stand 2 hours before light I know this sounds way too early but that way all the yahoos that show up at 7am will push deer to you when they slam doors and have that last smoke. In Sandylands on opening day the volume of shooting is nuts but if you are on a travel corridor leading to thick bush or swamp this will work to your advantage good luck and don't FORGET YOUR ORANGE!!!!. I would recommend scouting by walking around quietly and bumping Deer and see were they go then set up accordingly. Forget any deer near roads they will be cannon fodder on opening day. My last piece of advice id don't go stick to your private land or try to get more permission

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Away from the roads makes sense most guys try to drive till they see something then get out and shoot from what I under stand . I only last year tried the doe estrus scent and I had a interesting experiance with that. What about curiosity hunting have you tried any of that ( empty pail or something abnormal in a shooting lane ) or is that just blowing smoke ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know you'd mentioned Sandilands but I'd recommend a WMA a little bit further from Winnipeg so that you can get more wiggle room.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ya I agree with the rest of the guys. Sandilands is nuts with the amount of hunters out there. I went there once, and vowed never to go there again. Some hunters out there are absolutely nuts..they'll shoot at almost anything. and unload their clip they will.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Get as far away from the Orange Armies as possible!!! No deer is worth dying for!!! There is alot of idiots out there that have no regard for anyone or anything but themselves... Best bet get well off the beaten path, and try to look for area that have low hunter densities... Keep in mind though that usually areas with fewer hunters generally have fewer deer too, but they should be easier to hunt with less Yahoo's out there blasting away!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Patty said:
Get as far away from the Orange Armies as possible!!! No deer is worth dying for!!! There is alot of idiots out there that have no regard for anyone or anything but themselves... Best bet get well off the beaten path, and try to look for area that have low hunter densities... Keep in mind though that usually areas with fewer hunters generally have fewer deer too, but they should be easier to hunt with less Yahoo's out there blasting away!!!
I hunt in the Sandilands and around Marchand every year. Not going to disagree that there are a ton of people out there, but about 4 years out of 6 we've managed to bag a deer, which isn't too bad since we usually only go out for 1-3 days in a given year and just hike around looking for 'em.

There are a ton of people out there though, and I'm sure some idiots (although I've never seen anyone doing anything particularly stupid personally) but just out of curiosity has there ever actually been a hunting incident reported out there? I haven't looked into it but I've never actually heard about any incidents.

·
Registered
530 Posts
2 years ago a guy shot himself inside his own truck that's the type of people you have to worry about and it just scares the shit out of me that some people class trees as a back stop. If there is a hunter within 1/2 mile of me who i don't know i am very cautious and would probably leave the area. I like my quiet hunting on private property

·
Registered
116 Posts
I mostly hunt private land with little other hunting activity. If you've got it, consider yourself lucky and stick with it.

I tried Sandilands for a couple days, two years ago. NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
158 Posts
A lot of the province's wmas don't receive an abundance of hunting pressure. As jondur said, be willing to try a new place and you may be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Smith said:
A lot of the province's wmas don't receive an abundance of hunting pressure. As jondur said, be willing to try a new place and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Like I said, I've just never felt truly in danger there. It's busy so there's always a chance, but I hadn't ever felt all that bad about it.

I'd for sure take private property if I could, but I just don't have that option. I'm not against trying some other places though that's for sure, I just don't really know a lot of places that would be any better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would pick an area and then get a land ownership map of the municipalities that encompass it. You would be suprised at the amount of crown land and WMA's around that not are not common knowledge. Get out of the vehicle and away from the road and your already ahead of alot of the other hunters.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Mb gov web site has a page on WMAs and Utah actually very descriptive in terms of location size flora and fauna. Then when you narrow it down to an area get the land ownership map and it shows all WMA parcels and crown leases.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hunted Sandilands all my life, well since I got my Hunter Saftey in 1977 anyway.
Just stay in the bush. Leave the roads to the Road Hunters. You'll be fine.
(not a guarantee)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advice . I went and spoke to a few farmers and got permission to 240 adjoining acres so it's new territory but still privit land and only me on it. Should be a awesome season

1 - 16 of 16 Posts