Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some help on what I should do. The buck that I am after has come in twice, the last two nights. The first night I was doing an estrous call and had a doe decoy set up. He was extremely interested walked towards my stand and stopped about 100 yards from me. He then went into a clump of bush and stood there for 5-10 minutes. To coax him in I did some buck grunts and estrus calls but he just stood there. He came out of the clump briefly, walked away from me and at a last ditch effort I tried a snort wheeze - at this point he bolted. The second night I was rattling and he came running towards my stand. Again at 100 yards he went into the clump of bush and stood there. I grunted a few times, but nothing - he wouldn’t come out. Shortly after, a few does showed up150 yards away from my stand. At this point the buck came out to check them out. He started chasing them for a few minutes and I couldn’t get his attention. I tried a fawn distress call and again, he bolted. Unfortunately the clump of bush he goes into is on private property and I can’t hunt there. The property I am hunting isn’t a travel corridor so I have to call the deer to my stand. I was thinking of purchasing a buck decoy to see if that would bring him in. Does anyone have any suggestions or input? I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
146 Posts
i would try the combo buck and doe decoy set up, with the estrous calls and tending buck grunts...that might be the trick....good luck, hope ya get him.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Fish_Killer said:
i would try the combo buck and doe decoy set up, with the estrous calls and tending buck grunts...that might be the trick....good luck, hope ya get him.
X2

·
Registered
557 Posts
You're over calling and decoying in my opinion, that deer knows something isn't right and you are scaring him away. If you keep seeing him just sit tight and once the rut really kicks in he will be cruising all over and may just come by your stand. If you really need to try to get him closer limit your calling, I think guys overcall

·
Registered
339 Posts
In a previous thread I explained my theory on calling or calling too much. Yes calling to much. But I guess without calling, the deer stays in the next bush, problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Scent trail may work and just having the decoy there and not calling may help you as well. Big bucks are smart and when they sense somthing is off they will stand in the brush motionless for what seems like hours before they leave. Like clawJ said as well. Once that rut kicks in he will be running around lots. Be in your stand between 10 and 2 sometimes to catch him. Having does around will help too. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Scent trails can work, but, don't make a scent trail directly to your stand...pass 30 or 40 yards in front of your stand, then make a wide circle back to the stand.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Definitely go with a decoy buck or doe, challenge or seduction they both work. I also think you are over calling, once you have his attention let the event unfold. Call only if he strays, but don't over call. Mature bucks will keep their distance from calls alone, that is where the decoy comes into play. There is a reason why they become mature bucks!

·
Registered
557 Posts
As a cheap alternative to buying a new decoy just take the ears off the doe decoy and stick a set of antlers in the holes. May sound stupid but trust me it works and you get dual use out of one decoy

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
clawj said:
You're over calling and decoying in my opinion, that deer knows something isn't right and you are scaring him away. If you keep seeing him just sit tight and once the rut really kicks in he will be cruising all over and may just come by your stand. If you really need to try to get him closer limit your calling, I think guys overcall
Yup!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I wonder if you should even change your stand location, there could have been too much pressure already and that might keep him out of range for the rest of the season.

If the land owner where he is hanging up doesn't mind maybe you could place some thing in that clump of bush to nudge him out like a dirty sock or some hair clippings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
clawj said:
I agree! I've experienced over calling.....not cool. I sit tight and quiet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm going to say the same thing everyone else said only I'm going to use different words. :lol: Think about, the last two times he walks by an area and hears an unusual amount of deer sounds but nothing shows itself. Deer know what normal is and this ain't normal.

Unfortunately your chances of getting this buck this year are pretty much done IMO, especially if he's mature. He's already been educated to death over the past two meetings with over calling. Good luck trying to coax him in but unless he sees something live, experience tells me, he ain't going anywhere near your set-up anytime soon. On the positive side, there's an excellent chance that you'll be having more bucks coming through in the next couple weeks. Go git em!

Reactions: strtbobber
1 - 20 of 20 Posts