Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some sighting in of my hunting rifles, one being my ML. I use loose powder, and tried 90, 100and 110 grains of 777, the 110 did the best group. I was wondering if I used more if it would do even better, probably don't have time to try. But how much do you other guys use?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm thinking it depends on type or make of gun cause each are so different . My old muzzle with a 100 grains of loose powder was to much, would be all over the paper target. Went down to 90 grains and was able to get a consistent grouping.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Traditions Buckhunter with a 250g smackdown bullet and 100g of Goex 3f. My wife has a Traditions Deerhunter that she took a nice doe with yesterday evening, bang flop. Her load is 80g of Goex 2f and a 250g Cheep shot sabot.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I got my best groups with 110gr of American Pioneer and a 250gr PR QT bullet... 120 the groups opened right up, it still shot very well with 100gr of powder as well... I've tried 150gr a few times and found that it really opened up my groups, and the thought of blowing myself up put it to an end quickly!!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I used about 100 grains. I would first measure by volume, then weight the amount, then do the rest with the scale and keep them in film cannisters. Some power is very fine, some is very coarse, in the same container, I thought it would more accurate. Who knows, but it worked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
that's what i do too, i use 83 gr T7 by weight which is about 100 gr. by volume.
didn't try another charge yet. i just tried different bullets and picked the one that grouped best up to 175 yards. i was a bit surprised to see that the one that grouped best at 100 y (3/4" ) was 3rd best at 175.
the best at 175 was grouping 1.5" at 100.
so i settled for this load for this year and will test this bullet with different powder charge in the future.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I asked was I don't think I have ever heard of anyone using more then 110 grains, but since out of the three different charges I tried the 110 did the best so I am thinking about moving up

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Remember that 777 is 15% hotter than Pyrodex. What is the max charge of blackpowder or Pyrodex for your rifle?

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
With 777 your max would be about 130 grains. 130 + 15% = 149.5. I would not get that close. Accuracy counts way more than the small gains in velocity you might see.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, I just saw my tightest groups with 110 grains after trying 90 and 100.
I'm not looking for speed, I want tight groups

·
Registered
283 Posts
Each muzzleloader will have a "sweet spot" that delivers the best accuracy. The bullet you are shooting is going to figure into that equation as well. If you are using sabots or even very soft leads bullets high pressure loads will start to distort the sabot and negatively affect accuracy. You may want to try several sabots to see what shoots best in your rifle. As already mentioned you are better off with a slightly slower more accurate bullet .

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with snomad and rokoro.

But would use ratio and proportion for my calculations.

150/100 N/85

150 x 85/100 = N

N= 127.5 grains

1 - 13 of 13 Posts