Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using some of the spray to cover my scent and of course try to position yourself so the wind doesn't give you away but what else can you do to cover your scent?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I usually wear rubber boots and spray them down with some scent killer spray...it seemed to work sunday morning...i had a 2x2 buck walk right under my stand and along the trail i just walked down...just wish he was alittle older :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm sure all the scent loc and cover sprays help, no doubt and I use all that too sometimes . I'll occasionally go all out and use the scent aways laundry soap, shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc but in the end if the wind is wrong you won't fool a mature deer. Little bucks are stupid and curious in my opinion and will come to situations mature does or bucks never will. Think back to when guys didn't have fancy compound bows, endless camo, scent away products, modern gear, etc and they still succeeded......set up in the right spot with the right wind and all that doesn't matter. I've eaten before hunting, been in vehicles with smokers, played with my dogs before hunting, crapped and pissed by my stand and still shot deer because the wind and your surroundings and cover are right. If the wind is right they won't smell you, if it's a strong wind they won't hear you, if the stand or blind is right they won't see you.......go on days like that and you'll have success. Go on days when it's the opposite and you'll screw your spot up for days or weeks.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A couple of questions regarding covering of scent:
1) Is there one spray recommended over others ?
2) Is it wise to spray a game cam after it is being set up for use ?

Thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
bulldog007 said:

Thanks
I doubt there is one preferred spray, im sure they all work to a certain degree. As for the trail cam, I'd say absolutely spray it down along with yourself and your equipment, the less scent you leave in your hunting area the better, and if the sprays work then that's one way of helping.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
clawj said:
bulldog007 said:

Thanks
I doubt there is one preferred spray, im sure they all work to a certain degree. As for the trail cam, I'd say absolutely spray it down along with yourself and your equipment, the less scent you leave in your hunting area the better, and if the sprays work then that's one way of helping.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
With regards to these scent eliminator sprays on the market,i did some field testing with several brands and found not one of them was able to fool any of the dogs in my club. i was involved heavy in a Shutzhund Dog club in Wpg. this club trains dogs and their trainers on various aspects of protection/tracking skills,on a Sunday a few years ago i laid down several different tracks in clean scent free clothing and clean rubber boots,i applied several different scent ellimination products on my clothing and boots,these tracks were done in short to medium grass and scrub and they were left for 30 min. before we brought out several different dogs with various degrees of tracking experience,from dogs that had tons of tracking/police training as well as my 2 year old Rottie that had very limited tracking experience,and all but 1 dog was able to follow the track i laid down,now granted this wasn't a scientific test but it was good enough for me to not spend my money on these productsThere was a professional dog trainer who specialized in tracking and he was doing a workshop on tracking and he was intrigued by my informal tests of these products,he was telling the group that the human body gives off gases that '"fall off" the body and you just can't prevent this from taking place,he also told us that this gas lays down aprox. 18" on either side of a track.There was also an episode of "myth busters" Where they were trying to fool a blood hound,they tried everything from complete bio-hazard suits and they did not fool the dogs

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
338 Lapua mag said:
With regards to these scent eliminator sprays on the market,i did some field testing with several brands and found not one of them was able to fool any of the dogs in my club. i was involved heavy in a Shutzhund Dog club in Wpg. this club trains dogs and their trainers on various aspects of protection/tracking skills,on a Sunday a few years ago i laid down several different tracks in clean scent free clothing and clean rubber boots,i applied several different scent ellimination products on my clothing and boots,these tracks were done in short to medium grass and scrub and they were left for 30 min. before we brought out several different dogs with various degrees of tracking experience,from dogs that had tons of tracking/police training as well as my 2 year old Rottie that had very limited tracking experience,and all but 1 dog was able to follow the track i laid down,now granted this wasn't a scientific test but it was good enough for me to not spend my money on these productsThere was a professional dog trainer who specialized in tracking and he was doing a workshop on tracking and he was intrigued by my informal tests of these products,he was telling the group that the human body gives off gases that '"fall off" the body and you just can't prevent this from taking place,he also told us that this gas lays down aprox. 18" on either side of a track.There was also an episode of "myth busters" Where they were trying to fool a blood hound,they tried everything from complete bio-hazard suits and they did not fool the dogs

That is some very good information. As a dog owner ( Labradors ) I can attest to the sensitivity of a dogs nose........and moreso with a pure bred dog with a pedigree .

As you seem to have quite an intrest in this topic, how would you go about either disguising or irradicating scent that would alarm a prospective trophy on four legs ?

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I store my hunting clothes in an air tight box with spruce boughs/vegetation from the area I hunt. Other than that play the wind.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Cubby said:
I store my hunting clothes in an air tight box with spruce boughs/vegetation from the area I hunt. Other than that play the wind.

Thanks.........good stuff !!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
i also agree with bulldog,when i was bear hunting big time i used to wear hip waders and long rubber gloves whenever visiting my baits,to try and keep my scent down,but after reading many thoughts on this i was informed by many [experts] that the bears still smell you so it might be best to just condition them to your scent,some advocate leaving smelly clothes or a shirt in your stand and when you decide to hunt,you just bag it when you get into your stand.
i also stored my hunting clothes in bags with some natural vegetation.and watched what i ate as this has a tendency to affect your body odor.
I can recall a very funny story while collecting skunk musk 20 years ago off a road killed skunk.my buddy and i were using this to mask our scent while coyote calling.We pulled off this highway one day,started to glove up and with blue surgical gloves on and razor knives in our hands we proceeded with our surgery on our [patient] skunk,well wouldn't you know some concerned motorist decided we needed help so he pulls over on the shoulder of the highway behind my truck and proceeds to walk up on us,well one look at us 2 surgeons working on this skunk trying to get the scent glands out,he yells out WTF are you freaks doing and RUNS as fast as he can back to his car and speeds away!! My buddy and i laughed so frikken hard we could hardly finished what we started,i am sure he thought were some kind of weirdo's.needless to say even double bottling these scent sacs we couldn't keep them as the smell permeated through both jars,my wife almost made me live in the garage.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
338 Lapua mag said:
i also agree with bulldog,when i was bear hunting big time i used to wear hip waders and long rubber gloves whenever visiting my baits,to try and keep my scent down,but after reading many thoughts on this i was informed by many [experts] that the bears still smell you so it might be best to just condition them to your scent,some advocate leaving smelly clothes or a shirt in your stand and when you decide to hunt,you just bag it when you get into your stand.
i also stored my hunting clothes in bags with some natural vegetation.and watched what i ate as this has a tendency to affect your body odor.
I can recall a very funny story while collecting skunk musk 20 years ago off a road killed skunk.my buddy and i were using this to mask our scent while coyote calling.We pulled off this highway one day,started to glove up and with blue surgical gloves on and razor knives in our hands we proceeded with our surgery on our [patient] skunk,well wouldn't you know some concerned motorist decided we needed help so he pulls over on the shoulder of the highway behind my truck and proceeds to walk up on us,well one look at us 2 surgeons working on this skunk trying to get the scent glands out,he yells out WTF are you freaks doing and RUNS as fast as he can back to his car and speeds away!! My buddy and i laughed so frikken hard we could hardly finished what we started,i am sure he thought were some kind of weirdo's.needless to say even double bottling these scent sacs we couldn't keep them as the smell permeated through both jars,my wife almost made me live in the garage.

Now thats FUNNY................................ :lmao:

·
Registered
86 Posts
My landowner owns horses so I always make a point of stepping on a couple of road apples on my way to the stand. I figure that it's something that they smell daily and certainly aren't concerned with. As was previously mentioned, scents and cover-ups mean squat if you don't play the wind.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
bulldog007 said:
338 Lapua mag said:

Now thats FUNNY................................ :lmao:
X2 :lmao:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I work with trained tracking dogs. Tracking dogs mostly learn to follow the scent of crushed vegetation during training. Experienced dogs learn to follw this track onto hard surfaces and some believe eventually to find the "fear scent". However, even some experienced dogs cannot descriminate between the real bad guy hiding at the end of a track and someone else who happens to be "hiding" at the end of a track, suggesting they are not following a specific suspect. That said, you cannot easily hide from tracking dogs. People "stink". Cover scent doesn't work (I've seen police dogs prove it) but they can be fooled by wind currents about where exactly, someone is.
Deer probaly don't get much opportunity to learn that a disturbed track means "people" like a trained dog does. Squirrels and other larger animals make tracks in the woods and if you're not getting your skin or smelly clothing onto surfaces, they probably can't tell you're you. Wise old bucks probably have learned this.
Your face, sweaty head, and breath pump out people-smell. If your clothes smell of smoke or non-wood smells (dryer sheets, bacon) they'll make a scent cloud as well and it all announces something 'different" than the forest-sells. I am careful of what I touch, I scuff my boots in forest scent and even roll in vegetation when I start into the woods and I keep my outer clothes in a bag of leaves until I get to the woods and I watch the wind and stay conscious of the fact they will still smell me.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Chixfishing said:
I work with trained tracking dogs. Tracking dogs mostly learn to follow the scent of crushed vegetation during training. Experienced dogs learn to follw this track onto hard surfaces and some believe eventually to find the "fear scent". However, even some experienced dogs cannot descriminate between the real bad guy hiding at the end of a track and someone else who happens to be "hiding" at the end of a track, suggesting they are not following a specific suspect. That said, you cannot easily hide from tracking dogs. People "stink". Cover scent doesn't work (I've seen police dogs prove it) but they can be fooled by wind currents about where exactly, someone is.
Deer probaly don't get much opportunity to learn that a disturbed track means "people" like a trained dog does. Squirrels and other larger animals make tracks in the woods and if you're not getting your skin or smelly clothing onto surfaces, they probably can't tell you're you. Wise old bucks probably have learned this.
Your face, sweaty head, and breath pump out people-smell. If your clothes smell of smoke or non-wood smells (dryer sheets, bacon) they'll make a scent cloud as well and it all announces something 'different" than the forest-sells. I am careful of what I touch, I scuff my boots in forest scent and even roll in vegetation when I start into the woods and I keep my outer clothes in a bag of leaves until I get to the woods and I watch the wind and stay conscious of the fact they will still smell me.

I like the idea of putting the clothes in a bag of leaves or spruce boughs to impregnate that scent into your hunting clothes. Thanks for the great suggestions. This site has a lot of knowledgeable/experienced folks on it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
All I do is put my clothes in a container when I am done, and when I go hunting I spray them down a bit with scent killer. It has worked so far, this year I had one doe or young buck spook from me, go down wind, and come back to within 20 yds before it took off again. 10 mins. later a doe and 2 fawns were feeding right where I walked through about 20 minutes before, 15 -20 yds away from where I was kneeling on the ground, bow in hand, and watching them. They stayed there feeding for close to 10 minutes, before they walked away. In that case, the wind was more in my favor, except for the fact I had walked right there recently. But, the first deer either winded me or was spooked by the huge acorn on the ground, and came back for close second look. Something is obviously working, as this is not the first time this has happened.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Nothing is 100% foolproof... Clawj said it best when he said play the wind!!! I've used almost every product available at one time or another, and only one has ever convinced me it works... Silver XP from primos... I was deer hunting and the wind switched on me so I quickly abandoned my stand and got hunkered down on the ground... About half hour later, I hear something walking on the sandy trail beside me... A 300lbs+ black bear proceeded to walk within five feet of me only to stop and look at me!!! We had about a ten second stare down while he was downwind of me, and he just turned his head and walked away!!! It was nerve racking but he never knew what I was, he knew I didn't belong there but not that I was human... That same season I had two bucks, one probably 160+, sneak out 40yds downwind of me while on the ground... They never knew I was there, and unfortunately for me never presented a shot!!!

I still don't ever rely on scent elimination products, they may help fool the nose slightly but are never foolproof... Play the wind and if the wind isn't good for where you want to be move or stay home!!! Sometime though it can be a confidence booster though, and confidence plays a huge role in our success... So if spraying Brand X on yourself gives you confidence, go for it... I still do!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts