Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was out but not at prime time, i just walked around scouting, found a couple of nice rubs and 2 big scrapes but no deer. How did the rest of you guys do?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Terrible on Saturday. The one area that I fell in love with a few years ago has really been affected by predators and winters. Not many hunters up there but a harsh environment. Though I did find a good spot today that I will be devoting the next few years in "developing".

G

·
I WAS IN THE WHITESHELL TODAY AND SAW LOTS OF DEER ON THE WAY IN BUT NOTHING WHILE I HAD A MUZZLE LOADER IN MY HANDS.I WAS AMAZED AT HOW MANY HIGH POWER SHOTS I HEARD ALL DAY THOUGH

·
Registered
56 Posts
A bad day of hunting beats a good day at work. Was also in the white shell ,saw lots,found lots of rubs,tons of droppings,one stared me down for 10 min or so wile I was oblivious watching for what was already there ,great day!

G

·
HEY HUNTER AL WHERE WERE YOU?? I WAS BETWEEN LONE ISLAND AND BIG WHITESHELL.DID YOU HERE ALL THE HIGH POWER SHOTS FROM WHERE YOU WERE?

G

·
I SAW A NICE BUCK JUST INSIDE THE BIRD REFUGE STANDING ON THE ROAD JUST BEFORE THE TRACKS.JUST AS THE SUN WAS COMMING UP.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Was out all day on Sat. near Starbuck. Nothing at all. Very little in new tracks, rubs or scraps. The new scraps that I had seen last weekend had not been touched since then.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My brother got this one last night,he was sitting near a tree line with some scrapes and this buck came walking in at about 35 yards.Him and his wife just flew in saturday night from Quebec ,hopefuly his wife will get one this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Back when we had that snow early October I scouted my land to see where the deer were moving. I ended up jumping a decent buck out of his bed by a swamp. Knowing there was a buck I would like to take I stayed away until Saturday. Saturday I had to work a couple hours but driving home I took note of the wind being from the north east, it was time to make a move. I stalk the half mile to the back, stalked almost a quarter mile to the east through the swamp to the spot I had jumped him out of, but he wasn't there. So I started to stalk back south through the swamp when I saw a round rump, I dropped to my knees and watched him for 15 minutes. In that time he moved to the left of a huge fallen tree and back, he took a dump and laid down, I couldn't see him anymore so I took three steps to my left, he got up and looked my way, his vitals were exposed and he was at 80 yards, so I dropped the hammer. There was white smoke, a grunt like a giant belch, kicking and he started to run toward the east falling twice, I'm sure that I saw blood on his left side as he ran.

I followed the blood trail a half mile through the bush, ending up on a trail with one drop of blood leading into a gravel pit where crows were gathered. It was getting dark so I headed home, hoping to continue my search on Sunday. When I got home I called my father inlaw to see if he would fly me over the area yesterday morning, he didn't think it would help but was willing to try. We flew, no signs. He came in the afternoon to help scour the bush, nothing more.

It really sucks that I lost this buck, I'll head over to the area I think he went again today and see if there are any birds to give away where he is.

The only two things that I can think happened are I hit a branch or the bullet passed through with little damage, wish I knew :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
We re in the west part of the province,about 45 minutes north of brandon.We got about 4 inc. of snow last friday,very nice for hunting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
superdave450 said:
Yeah whats with all the snow and he looks overdressed for the weather we had this weekend :p I have yet to wear a toque or gloves out there!
:lmao: yes i was quite overdress. as long as i sat still in the wind it was ok. but
as soon as i started walking it was too hot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Was out only for half day on Saturday. Pretty sure got busted by 1 deer in my friends ground blind. Heard it but couldn't see it. Did some more scouting and found 2 nice fresh scrapes where I set up. Cross the fingers for next sat when can hunt all day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was out all day on Saturday. Only saw 1 nice buck. Think it was same 4x5 I got a pic of on trail cam. He walked outta bush and then stopped behind a bluff of birch and then walked back into bush. No shot unfortunately. Went out half a day Sunday and didnt seem anything. Lots of sign where I'm set up so hoping they be out when I'm back in there this weekend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts