Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the few short months since MHF has come on line, we've come a long way. We've already topped 100 viewers on line at one time on several occassions. In an effort to make this website even better, the administrators and moderators are reaching out to you for help. After all, Forums such as this one are totally dependant on it's membership participation.

We would like to hear your suggestions, about what we can do to make this Forum even better. What would you like to see added/deleted? What can be done to increase visits and membership participation here? Please post your ideas below, or, if you like, PM one of us. All ideas are welcome.

Thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ldb pikester said:
No what I am saying is that most people want just what is for them, and do not care at all to help out others.
I hear what you're saying.....but, we've got just shy of 2000 members already. So, if only 5% of the members contribute an idea...well, that's 100 ideas, or more.
So, I'm the eternal optimist, and can't wait to see their suggestions.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think membership participation will increase come whitetail muzzle and rifle season, realistically that is the biggest hunting done in the province and when sites like this will see the most activity with guys asking questions and posting stories and pictures. Unlike MFF and fishing that is almost year round for so many popular species it seems hunting here is most popular for birds and deer and there is a small window of time to discuss and report on it. Sure there is elk and moose, etc but a lot less guys do it and many people just don't like to advertise in fear that somehow their spot may get taken. I think you'll see more activity in a month. Also there are a couple other local hunting sites to "compete" against. You could always do some contests for prizes, everyone loves to win something. The site itself is good, it's activity will really be seasonal though. I have an MFF decal on my truck and time and time again people ask me what the forum is and where to find it so possibly having a few of the mods( that live in Canada eh ;) ) or others stick a window decal on their vehicle could spread the word a bit. There must also be cheap or free advertising opportunities online or in print to target outdoors people.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
snortwheez said:
I've been hanging out in forums since 06' now, and everything seems to slow down when the hunting seasons end.
I hang out at afew forums on a regular basis and they have a section just for posting about other forums to check out.
I can put the word out as best as I can......
Thanks for your support...we appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
on your forum page it would be nice if the last post whether it was rifle,archery or muzzle was on the top of the page rather than being in order at all times and having to go through all to see the most previous post.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The "mark topics read" should also be on the bottom of page so when we are done reading all topics we do not have to scroll to the top.......

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigolebuck said:
The "mark topics read" should also be on the bottom of page so when we are done reading all topics we do not have to scroll to the top.......
At the bottom of the Forums, there is a Board Index button...just left click on it, and it takes you to the top of the page.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Riggs said:
bigolebuck said:
At the bottom of the Forums, there is a Board Index button...just left click on it, and it takes you to the top of the page.
Thats to hard.................................lmao

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bigolebuck said:
Riggs said:
bigolebuck said:
Thats to hard.................................lmao
Sorry... :lmao: We'll send someone around to click it for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Perhaps some thought should be given to those "members" who do not participate ( pick an arbitrary length of time and or # of posts within said timeframe ) should be stale dated and booted off the site. They could reapply for membership ( pick an arbitrary length of time ).......repeat if necessary.

Some of the non participants and/or lurkers might be encourgaed to get with it , or get without it.

J.M.O.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When i get email notification about someone posting, the email doesn't tell me what they posted, I have to click on the link. On trackshare, the notification email includes the new post which I can read right on my phone. It is a big part of why I use trackshare so much. It keeps me updated and checking back on the website because I am always kept in the loop.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Leave the lurkers alone. You can't force people to post. It takes a bit of time and many will come around. You need to be pretty active with moderation. The old manitoba forum got almost rediculous with personal attacks, bias, name calling etc. Some topics like on ethics and native hunting etc must be monitored carefully. Different contests occuring throughout the year for different things will help keep interest up. Contests should be geared towards the goals you have set out for your forum. Want pictures and stories....give a prize for a picture and story contest for deer hunting, bear hunting, spring gobblers etc. Want to promote youth and family hunting and values, have some prizes for that. It is tough to get youth on the forums with all the distractions they have in todays world. maybe some connectivity with mobile divices or user friendly sharing with the forum. That would probably take more advanced coding. For admin it is important to become a member of a forum that discusses admin duties and functions and helps with coding. Your emoticons could be spruced up and organized a bit better. You could add a background picture to the outside of the forum for texture. You could rotate the header or banner for different seasons. It would be nice to have a most recent topic button or hot topic button. You could probably add some more sections in time. Like I have said, you guys are doing a great job so far and the software here is impressive.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, everyone, for your comments and input. We appreciate it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
NWOntariohunter said:
maybe some connectivity with mobile divices or user friendly sharing with the forum.
The Forum is already mobile accessible, and even has a mobile application thru Forum Runner.

NWOntariohunter said:
It would be nice to have a most recent topic button or hot topic button.
In the menu at the top there is a drop down under forum that has these types of features.

The rest of your suggestions I leave to the Admins and Moderator crew here on MHF. They are taking your suggestions under consideration.
Thanks for the feedback. This is the kind of feedback that turns good forums into great forums.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In the menu at the top there is a drop down under forum that has these types of features.
Yeah, I just figured this out yesterday. Thanks for the response!

Here is another idea. How about some sort of interboard contest or connectivity? As an admin at a large Ontario hunting forum it would be kind of cool to do some interboard stuff. It would benefit each forum and we would not be robbing each other of members, it would probably generate more interest in each of our forums. For example, next year we could have a team of manitoba hunter vs a team of ontario hunters for some sort of prize.....could be pretty fun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
NWOntariohunter said:
Yeah, I just figured this out yesterday. Thanks for the response!

Here is another idea. How about some sort of interboard contest or connectivity? As an admin at a large Ontario hunting forum it would be kind of cool to do some interboard stuff. It would benefit each forum and we would not be robbing each other of members, it would probably generate more interest in each of our forums. For example, next year we could have a team of manitoba hunter vs a team of ontario hunters for some sort of prize.....could be pretty fun.
I will let the guys here decide on that one. This forum is part of the Mantioba Outdoors network which I am co-owner of. However I am not a hunter and this board was built to serve the hunting public. And it is moderated and Administered by others. I try not to micro manage.

I will let one of the serving board Admins contact you to work something out. I like the idea and I think the officials here should really look into this possibility.

If you happen to admin an Ontario fishing forum as well. Feel free to email me [email protected] Game On. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts